Gonna paint my 1923 Stude Big Six , suggestions

1 hour ago, 1927Chevy said:

how about black

His suggestion is not a bad one. Studebakers of that period were prestigious cars. If you don't like black, consider a very dark shade of blue, green, or maroon. Any of them will make your car look outstanding. If it were mine, I would go for a very deep blue.

What the heck; it is a great looking car as it is!

• Like 2

some examples, like the wood spokes, like the side mounts, anyone got the specks for wood spokes told 24 inch rims, colors told many different, black and navy being common, extra parts got transmissions, carbs, maybe would like engine to add to my extras 

JTYE30ONWVEN5B1O.jpg

13352147-1923-studebaker-touring-car-std.jpg

fc6e35cafb4e9e28a47d8d457abbeefc110d8507.jpg

Studebaker_National_Museum_May_2014_063_(1922_Studebaker_Big_Six_Touring_Car).jpg

178771971_3795688730547217_8998030808385259885_n.jpg

JBS-1923-Studebaker-Big-Six-Speedster-8-angles-007.jpg

5e7fb373e7aceadb3cb2ba63905ece2a.jpg

studebaker1922.jpg

• Like 1

There has been a discussion about this here before. The parts catalogs show what colors were available in listings for replacement parts.

For 1923 there is listed Black, Grey and Princess Louise Lake

For 1924 there is listed Black, Princess Louise Lake, Military Grey, Brewster Green, Oxford Red, Oxford Green, and Parisian Red.

The sales literature also lists colors for the wheels. This changed through the production year and was usually linked to body style ie touring cars one color wheels, roadsters another color and sedans another. I can find this information but don't have it at my fingertips.

All being said there are no paint chips for these early colors to verify the shades. Most were quite dark.

• Like 1

Studeboy

Thank you for your help, told mine is Princess Louise Lake, told it is not, mine might be black next year.  I have a repair manual but have not seen a parts catalog.  Sometimes its nice interacting with people you share a common thread with.  Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and resources.  I was born before computers and reached a point where it seems I do not see what is in front of me.  I have seen posts I have made here and VCCA a dozen years ago and do not remember making.  Sometime I forget how to spell. Your guidance is appreciated.  Your comments are appreciated.  Studeboy thank you again.

Ken

I remember that Rolling Stone song "Paint it Black".  My black 27 Chevy below, note it has an 8 volt battery as after engine rebuild 6 volt turned it slow, also you are not gonna hand crank start this one.

1927 Touring.jpg

• Like 1

1922 was the first year Studebaker listed bumpers in their parts book. For 22 and 23 bumpers were only listed for the Big six. After that they were available for all models in 1924.

As for the rims. From the parts book it does not look like the rims are interchangeable. Not only that there are two separate type of disc wheels for 1923 big six. One is an "OG" type with a rib. 

Black is a pain to maintain. Shows every microscratch in the sun, shows every spec of dust but it also looks stunning when clean and buffed up (my Light Six).

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20190712_151403.jpeg.1733f6acf47d5927d9406025711e4555.jpeg
As @studeboy mentioned, Studebaker had several colors offered for the Big Six but you need to see some original cars to understand what those actually look like. In my many years of paying attention I can say they were deeper colors - that is, darker shades as Studeboy said. So, you know that you have an exact match with black and you can probably be within tolerance if you stick with a darker blue, gray, maroon, green, etc. and black fenders (paint scheme like the yellow one above). I do not believe that a black hood with a different body color is correct.

The disc wheel option (which sets the car apart from most of the other 1923 car manufacturers) contains a specific hub and flange design which the disc wheel bolts to. If you make the decision to go with the less desirable wood wheels (can you see my bias?) and can find a set, the rear hubs will fit the tapered rear axle and the bearings in the front hub will fit the front spindles. Those hubs are generally bolted or riveted to the wood spokes. 

The bumpers look correct, if they didn’t come from the factory, then they are period correct aftermarket that were added. The Big Six design had the holes for oiling the forward rear spring shackle in the side panel where yours are. The Light Six had them in the running board so you can’t see them on my car. Your tire tubes should have a 90 degree nickel stem that should stick out of the slot in the disc wheel. And definitely keep those black wall tires, especially if you paint it black.
Scott 

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Stude LIght

Thank you very much for your informative post, Your Light Six is beautiful, a great argument for Black.  Back in the 70's I sprayed some lacquer and Black seemed easiest to work with.  Of course any non metallic paint was easier. I am 70 now and not what I used to be but do get out to the barn now and then to do some maintenance.  For the last few years have been focused on my 1936 Chevy half ton hot rod owned by family since 1955 and converted to hot rod during early 70's and modified again starting in 2019.  Got 6 cars all need attention.  Will paint the Studebaker next year.  My obsessive streak  forces me to look for stuff I do not need (wood spokes and spare engine) got lots of parts need to get rid of.  My Big Six had an 8 volt battery when I got it and have left that as is.  My 27 Chevy (black and above) has a completely rebuilt engine all new belts, cables , starter, switch etc and cannot get a 6 volt battery to turn it fast, went with 8 volt there also.  Does run great.  I thank you again for your kind effort supplying me with guidance in my efforts.  I belong to AACA, VCCA, and recently Hot Rod Forum for help with my hobby.  Thank you again.

Ken

20220916_143932.jpg

• Like 1