Odd fin like things on car

DDTJRAC

11 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I check this category every day........... like jeopardy with automotive questions. 

Hopefully I learn something just by checking here. 

As you know, like Jeopardy, here could be wrong answers, too.  But hopefully there are enough "fact checkers" to keep us all honest.

7 hours ago, E_Johnson said:

It's an early 1917 as evidenced by the windshield that is folded in equal halves resulting in the bare edges of the glass being flush.

I should have known it would be you!

Yes, the even folding windshield with the hinges even with the top of the lower windshield pane as used in 1915 and 1916 continued to be used only about half of 1917 on the new style black radiator shell model Ts. Mid 1917 through 1922 models (USA production, Canadian production changed about 1920) had the hinge pin almost two inches above the lower windshield glass.

Even in poor quality era photos, often the even folding hinges can be spotted and identify early 1917s. 

An additional bit of 1917 windshield minutia. The actual timeline details are not known, and can only be estimated. However, for about a couple of months in mid 1917 model year, windshields used a combination of the earlier style windshield hinges, with the later style cowl mounting method. 1915 into mid 1917 models the lower windshield frame was riveted into the cowl mounting casting. The later 1917 through 1922 (USA) windshield frames were held into the cast brackets by round head slotted machine screws in from the outer sides. That combination of one early detail and one late detail only lasted two to maybe three months in mid 1917 model year.

So many interesting minor details in a common model T.

• Like 2

Oldford:

When a 1915, '16 and early '17 Ford touring and roadster windshield is folded over, the bare edges of the windshield panes are flush.  This is because the windshield hinge pivot is on approximately the same plane as the bare edges of the upper and lower pane.  During the 1917 model year, the windshield hinges were revised so the pivot is offset and sits above the plane of the bare edges.

The 1917 model year was August 1916 through July 1917.

The first two photos are of my unrestored late 1917 roadster (5/25/17 motor number) with the windshield folded over.  Note that the bare edge of the upper winshield pane sits substantially above of the bare edge of the lower pane.  Also notice how the top of frame of the upper panel sits subsantially above the cowl compared to the period photo.

The third photo is a 1915/16/early 17 windshield hinge (the brass nut is unique to 1915).  The fourth photo is the windshield of my father's 1917 touring which he purchased from the original owner in 1949.  It has a July motor number so last month of the 1917 model year.

PS: When I acquired my roadster, it had Hassler Shock Absorbers just like the touring in the period photo but I removed them.  I don't like Hasslers - they're ugly and detract from the looks of the car.

1917 roadster rear.jpg

1917 roadster.jpg

1915 windshield hinge.jpg

1917 windshield hinge.jpg

Edited by E_Johnson (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

OK you guessed the car......... now how about the gun?

Make,  model,  gage

I know model Ts pretty well. I know a fair amount about early movies, Roaring '20s music, opera and other classical music (but can't play any musical instrument). 

But I know very little about guns. Not opposed to them. Support the second amendment. But really cannot have any around due to some "family" issues.

Keeping in line with his frugal vehicle choice, I would suspect the scattergun is probably something along the lines of  an  A.J. Aubrey, L.C. Smith or  J.C. Higgins 20 Ga., any one of which could be ordered straight outta the Sears & Roebuck catalog for under 15.oo, postpaid!

• Like 2

On 9/11/2024 at 8:57 AM, Barney Eaton said:

I check this category every day........... like jeopardy with automotive questions. 

Hopefully I learn something just by checking here. 

I got tons of photo and films that could go here for ID / dates. Just have to scan them. The films will be very interesting, just need to save up for a scanner.

23 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

OK you guessed the car......... now how about the gun?

Make,  model,  gage

I send my guns to a gun forum. I'm looking for a pharmacy forum for some photos, but have not checked yet. The wine forum does not seem to do very good. I try and go to the specific forums for answers. The engineer forum banned me and said I was a spammer. I found a physics forum to replace the engineers, and they do well. I also am on an antique forum for some toy dates. Also, on a train forum. I will probably join more forums as time goes on. It is nice when people would date the photo on the back and give some info. Kodak 16mm film has dates codes on the edge, but it can span 40 to 60 years in 20-year intervals.