Chevy 292 oil pan gasket

I'm looking for an oil pan gasket for my 1963 Chevy 292 engine. It seems that the right gasket should be the Fel-Pro 1819. But the rubber piece that goes across the front doesn't have any holes in it, according to any pictures I've found of that gasket. But mine has 6 bolt holes. I also came across a break down diagram of the engine that shows that gasket, and it also has the holes in it. If I was to punch 1/4" holes in the rubber piece of the Fel-Pro 1819, I don't think it is wide enough according to the pictures I've seen. Does anyone have a solution to this oddity? Cheers

20240902_163123.jpg

20240903_083419.jpg

6 hours ago, TerryB said:

Chevy truck 292?  One of the things listed for the gasket is the number of bolts holding the pan.  Most gaskets say 24 bolt pan.  Is yours 24 bolt?

24 - 1/4"  and 4 - 5/16"  I'm thinking it was out of a car.  The last 2 numbers in the serial number stamped beside the distributor are PV  and I believe that stands for passenger Vehicle.

17 minutes ago, timecapsule said:

24 - 1/4"  and 4 - 5/16"  I'm thinking it was out of a car.  The last 2 numbers in the serial number stamped beside the distributor are PV  and I believe that stands for passenger Vehicle.

I went looking for Fel-pro gaskets in my 1970 Fel-pro passenger car catalog . It goes back to the 1950s up to 1970.  No Chevy passenger cars were listed as having a 292ci, the largest was 250ci.  Did a little looking elsewhere and saw 292ci was listed as a truck engine.  An Amazon listing for a Chevy pan gasket for a 292ci did show one with the holes you mention.  I have to wonder if the gasket you would receive from the vendor would actually have the six holes.  

• Thanks 1

What engines were available in the 1963 Chevy C10?

For 1963, Chevrolet trucks received two new inline-6 engines, replacing the 236 inline-6. A 230 cubic-inch six became the base engine (producing 140 hp), while a 292 cubic-inch six (producing 165 hp) was introduced as an optional inline six; the 283 V8 was retuned to 175 
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, timecapsule said:

Olsons's picture of the same gasket set show that strip of rubber without any holes.

I saw the picture had the one with no holes.

But did you call them?

If they have multiple gasket sets they may not post pictures of each one, just the most common one.

They are extremely helpful on the phone and I'm sure they would make sure you get the correct gasket for your application. 

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2024 at 8:35 PM, timecapsule said:

24 - 1/4"  and 4 - 5/16"  I'm thinking it was out of a car. 

292 is only a truck engine, never was stock in a car. It has a taller block than fits in passenger cars easily. Sure, I've seen them in 1930s Rat Rods.😁

3 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

292 is only a truck engine, never was stock in a car. It has a taller block than fits in passenger cars easily. Sure, I've seen them in 1930s Rat Rods.😁

The reason I was thinking that it was out of a car is as I mentioned previously, the PV letters at the end of the serial number.  My research came up with PV representing Passenger Vehicle. 

Well, following the lead of GM in the 80s, you can use RTV gasket maker. I've had good luck with the Right Stuff. The trick is to make a nice bead. Unlike the problem of putting RTV on gaskets, where it squishes to very thin thickness and therefore puts strings into the oil pan/pickup/pump and clogs the works, using it as the gasket  is less problematic. I can find no source for the 28 bolt gasket. A call to Olsens will be good to confirm they do or do not have it.

I've checked out a few stories on various forum of guys using "Right Stuff" without any gaskets.  Yes it prevents leaks.  But it's almost impossible to get the oil pan off later on if you need to.  From what I've read, you might as well get out your mig welder.  I've read 3 examples where guys have permanently destroyed the pan gasket getting it off, because Right Stuff simply won't let go.  

I am suggesting to use RTV ONLY for the front unavailable gasket! The other pieces should be installed in your favorite method.😉

I would also experiment on how thick a bead needs to be in order to be equivalent to the paper/cork/whatever of the other pieces once installed. It might not be very thick to do this job.

Also going back to the beginning, if you buy the available oil pan set, you can experiment if some holes for bolts in that non-holed piece would work.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)