For Sale: 1939 Plymouth P8 4dr Convertible Sedan - "Runs and drives beautifully" - Aviator Blue - Commack, NY - Not Mine - 8/13 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1939 Plymouth P8 4dr Convertible Sedan in Commack, Long Island, NY  -  $22,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/473065935518046/-1939-Plymouth-P8-4dr-Convertible-Sedan

Seller's Description:

1939 Plymouth P8 4dr Convertible Sedan

• Condition: Used - like new

Aviator Blue, Approx. 62K miles, Runs and drives beautifully. Leather interior in great shape Canvas top 3 yrs old New fuel tank Only 387 models of this car ever produced. Offers considered.

image.png.70083484b10a9b27c8fcbb4af4e657a0.png

image.png.ae30a52b718da773ca33356b4ccdcf7c.png

image.png.943bd7a12a452ff1ac8d2e092f0e4a2e.png

image.png.781bbe140cebaeace496686abd7edc82.png

image.png.0363de864a758966bcd44cdeca23ba8d.png

image.png.bc0d48b338da829dd69f069ecad596e4.png

image.png.c903bcf286a56de45edebab68ce001b5.png

image.png.8037b47d3aaca32c3aeacedf9b0ee3ad.png

image.png.c22467f556743d516d179c3666278c62.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There was something similar for sale up here a few years ago (two seater, had a rumble seat), and it was a very nice drive. I can only image that this one would be just as nice. If I had the cash I'd be taking a road trip this weekend, although being in Long Island, it looks like it'd be a pain to get too.

The rest around the engine area is a bit of a concern, but I assume that'd be mostly surface rust

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theconvertibleguy said:

although being in Long Island, it looks like it'd be a pain to get too.

If you avoid rush hour commuter traffic long island is not hard to navigate to get to around NY City area. . Have driven here for over 60 years, again it depends upon the time of day. . Lots of highways going east and west the length of the lsland.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Walt G said:

If you avoid rush hour commuter traffic long island is not hard to navigate to get to around NY City area. . Have driven here for over 60 years, again it depends upon the time of day. . Lots of highways going east and west the length of the lsland.

ya was thinking more to get around NYC as I'd be coming from up the Hudson. Thought there were ferries across from Connecticut but guess not.

ferries are good but you also have to schedule that in, and it also concerns timing, traffic? on main highways as well. I can only speak for the traffic here on long island and around Manhattan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barry22 said:

Facebook marketplace say it's sold at one link and not at another link to the same car. It may have been sold and the prospective buyer changed their mind.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1714439042694945

I agree. As long as one ad is active, the car should be available for sale. 

It's very frustrating to see multiple ads for the same car that are not in sync. Sellers should keep price and availability the same over all listings. In this case, the Seller should have noted on the active ad that a transaction had been canceled or Seller had changed his mind about selling.  

• Like 3

As 1939 was the only model year when a Plymouth four-door convertible sedan was offered, it raises the question for the motivation for this brief market effort.  Chrysler Corporation had added the four-door convertible sedan availability to the 1936 body choice selection for Chryslers, DeSotos and Dodges but not Plymouths.  The body maker for these convertible sedans is identified as Murray Corporation although most of the Mopar production bodies were supplied by Briggs.  

Typically, a body maker contracting with a manufacturer for a specific type such as a convertible sedan would require a minimum quantity commitment for the duration of that body series.  The 1936-'38 was a three-year body cycle at least for the convertible body styles. Adding up all the convertible sedans sold under the four nameplates arrives at 4,930 which suggest the contract was for ~5,000 units.  The first two years, sales averaged 1,845 but plummeted for recession year 1938 to 853, leaving them ~400 bodies short of the minimum quantity.

How they appear to have solve this problem was to conclude the make mostly likely to generate that sales number was the low-price Plymouth.  Problem was the convertible sedan bodies wouldn't fit on the 114" wb Plymouth chassis.  The solution came from Dodge, simply mount the bodies on its planned 1939 117"wb, fit them with Plymouth front clip and price them at $1,150, $75 less than the 1938 Dodge convertible sedan.  Still the most expensive 1939 Plymouth model catalogued, it served to round out the contract and clean-up whatever stock of stamping and ancillary parts remained.  

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1939 Plymouth P8 4dr Convertible Sedan - "Runs and drives beautifully" - Aviator Blue - Commack, NY - Not Mine - 8/13 SOLD!