1927 carburetor adjustment

image.jpg.e2f086d485f524610c7af40bb7f8f061.jpgI have an all original 1927 packard that idles nicely and runs well up to 3/4 throttle . At full throttle it starts to pop and breakup . Timing position doesn’t seem to affect it so im thinking its not getting enough fuel at full throttle . 

Any experienced guys with this 2 soring carburetor adjustment ? Should I adjust the inner spring or the outer  ? Also the diaphragm  under the springs with the car off is slightly below all the way up ? Should this diaphragm be all the way up when off ?   Thanks 

Edited by rwchatham (see edit history)

Hi R W Chatham,

I’m no expert on this carburetor, although I have a 1928 model with a similar carb. The attached instruction from Dyke’s carburetor supplement (1940) should help. Your attention is called to the paragraph on the second page, right hand side;  “To check, proceed as follows”. Good luck. Please post how you make out.

Packard 1927 Carb 1.jpg

Packard 1927 Carb 2.jpg

Packard 1927 Carb 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, carbking said:

I had the same problem in reading; the dimension mentioned between the two springs is 5/32 inch.

Jon

Jon can you read it clear enough to see if the diaphragm should be all the way up with the car not running ? 

My scanner produces a pdf file as the default. The AACA forum does not allow me to post pdf files.  I chose to convert them to jpeg files, which are acceptable to the forum. The pdf file is very readable and clear and - better for me - can be zoomed to a very large size. Nice and readable to these old eyeballs and very clear.

If you can tell me an AACA-acceptable file format that is better, I will repost. I tried to send the pdf file by PM to RWC and CarbKing, but pdf format is not allowed there, either. So if you will send me a PM and provide your email address, I will happily send you the info in pdf format.

Maybe the AACA web administrator could set it up so that pdf files are allowed in the future?

Phil

Edited by pmhowe (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I have a better reference, but it also is a PDF.

But I haven't found it yet. Did find the original.

Phil, it is a pain in a part of the anatomy, but you can display the PDF, take a picture with your cell phone, and then post the pictures. 

Jon

20 minutes ago, carbking said:

I have a better reference, but it also is a PDF.

But I haven't found it yet. Did find the original.

Phil, it is a pain in a part of the anatomy, but you can display the PDF, take a picture with your cell phone, and then post the pictures. 

Jon

Jon I sent you a pm with my email perhaps you can send it to me there ? 

Thank you 

10 hours ago, rwchatham said:

Jon I sent you a pm with my email perhaps you can send it to me there ? 

Thank you 

Got your PM, but have not found the digital copy of my Radco book.

Jon

10 hours ago, DFeeney said:

I have found in my experience that if you know how something works , you have a good chance of fixing it. 

You are correct thats why I am trying to get a better understanding of how and when the springs operate  before I just start turning screws without understanding of what they actually do .   Thanks 

Found my digital copy!

But since I still have the original, easier to rescan to a format this website will accept than do the coversion!

Moderators and webmasters: PLEASE consider upgrading this website to accept Adobe PDF files, which as far as I am aware, has been the industry standard for several decades!

Jon 

In any event, pictures below:

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Note the above information covers both types of Detroit Lubricator carburetors: the model 51, and the earlier "Packard" carburetor, also made by Detroit Lubricator, and the Johnson carburetors.

The Johnson information at least makes for interesting reading. I started working on carburetors in 1959, and in that time I can count the number of servicable Packard Johnsons that I have personally seen on the toes of my left hand! 

Jon

• Like 1

Reminds me of a story. Phil had a Packard Twin Six that never ran quite right, seemed to lack power.

Ed was a pretty well experienced carburetor man.

One day Ed drove out to Phil's house and they thoroughly attacked the carburetor issues. Phil was amazed at the results. They took the car out on the nearby country highway and the car went like never before. They arrived back at the garage with the big tourer top tied back, partially in place after the leather straps holding the top above the windshield gave up at speed.

Be sure to "check your leather".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Reminds me of a story. Phil had a Packard Twin Six that never ran quite right, seemed to lack power.

Ed was a pretty well experienced carburetor man.

One day Ed drove out to Phil's house and they thoroughly attacked the carburetor issues. Phil was amazed at the results. They took the car out on the nearby country highway and the car went like never before. They arrived back at the garage with the big tourer top tied back, partially in place after the leather straps holding the top above the windshield gave up at speed.

Be sure to "check your leather".

Maybe I need Ed !!! 

• Like 1