About 1913...

Hi Folks!

As hard as I try, I cannot ID this automobile.  I date the image from the young girl, born 1911, who appears to be maybe 2 years-old???  I presume the auto was purchased used as they were from rural Tennessee.

Anyone have a guess as to the make and year?

Thank you all!

John

Rob & Verlie Stewart w-Gustell ~ 1913.jpg

Edited by Damn Yankee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• Damn Yankee changed the title to About 1913...
6 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

Hi Folks!

As hard as I try, I cannot ID this automobile.  I date the image from the young girl, born 1911, who appears to be maybe 2 years-old???  I presume the auto was purchased used as they were from rural Tennessee.

Anyone have a guess as to the make and year?

Thank you all!

John

Rob & Verlie Stewart w-Gustell ~ 1913.jpg

Model T Ford. Looks like it has a custom or aftermarket "PEERLESS" radiator shell on it.

IMG_9389.JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 6

That rear fender does look like a more angular design for an earlier "T" and it might have been used to replace a damaged "modern" one, but I think it just got snagged on something and got stretched out as it almost got pulled off, changing its profile to resemble the earlier part. The dull paint and the generally beat-up look- bent and broken fenders, crinkled hood and ripped up interior mean this car is at least a few years old at the time it was photographed!

Those rural "T"s led a hard life...

So if the car is a circa 1917-18 model T Ford and it is 5-8 years old in photo, that would place photo at about 1922-26. so the young girl would be someone born about 1920-23. but you know women, they never want to reveal their age.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

but you know women, they never want to reveal their age.

As funny as that comment seems, my grandmother bought a brand spanking new 1928 Model A Ford Sports Coupe right after graduation from nursing school, but her state issued license had a 1925 d.o.b. when she passed away… I would never underestimate the amount of time she spent lying about her age!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't see enough of that "rear fender" to know for sure what it is, other than it is really messed up! It actually looks like it may be a 1914 or earlier front fender cut and reshaped slightly and cobbled on. Or it might be a 1914 rear fender?

Posted (edited)

I was told since I was a boy that the girl was Gustell, the first-born, 1911.  I think her father would have bought the car used as he was just a poor farmer.  The 1914 year fits nicely with the fact that he couldn't have hauled 4-5 kids around the South (they had 10 kids, about one every two years.  The year does conflict with the car being used though...

"When you deal with a Watkins' agent, you patronize a reliable man."

Yep.  In 1930, he murdered Gustell's husband and through two trials, for the sake of his (other) daughter's dignity, never gave the real reason why.

J

Edited by Damn Yankee (see edit history)