1955 thunderbird - $18,500

What you can see looks OK for the money...Was it originally green? (more not very good pics in ad) 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/chula-vista-1955-thunderbird/7766508526.html

Runs and drives. Very original automatic one owner I have original title pink slip in hand. Was parked in doors on stands for 30 years I upgraded few things n it runs well. Please call or txt for showing. No dreamers. Reasonable price. No offers over phone. (619. )245 7267.

1955 thunderbird 100P0P_lPSJuyzdqC2_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00202_8TOKFaHPsE_0t20CI_600x450.jpg01313_1JW99AZ61zx_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_48SUQuHSwkS_0t20CI_600x450.jpg01313_bIgBHLgIJgH_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

What could have caused the dash pad to turn to that mustard yellow? Also looks like the top was attached for all those 30 years while it was in storage. I wonder what the exterior finish on it is.

At least all the T-bird specific engine accessories seem to be there as well as the bumper guards.

Evidently no soft top.

This car looks like a typical California car, meaning it was ordered as hardtop only. It does have power steering, power brakes, and power seat. It is hard to tell what the original color of the car was. The dashboard color looks more like the green from a 1956 T-Bird, not the green from a 1955. The steering wheel is also missing the horn ring, which sometimes breaks off over the years. Most likely rust free, a definite plus. I think the asking price is a bit optimistic, especially since it has no soft top. Would definitely like to see how it runs and stops before negotiating. Might be a reason to travel to Chula Vista and have a look at it. 

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

There are some good buys on 55-57 T-birds. They just don’t bring the numbers that corvettes do.

Got me to checking so I looked it up...few Corvettes and many more T birds were sold in the early years but by '57 they were pretty equal. 

Interestingly, the Ford sold ten times as many '61 T-birds as 57s. 

• Like 1

In 1957 there were about 3,500 Corvettes produced, as compared to 21,380 Thunderbirds. The two-seater T-Birds always outsold the Corvettes by a wide margin. The prices today reflect supply and demand. The supercharged and dual four-barrel cars are the ones that sell at the highest prices and compare well to the Corvettes due to the relative rarity of those cars.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

In 1957 there were about 3,500 Corvettes produced, as compared to 21,380 Thunderbirds. The two-seater T-Birds always outsold the Corvettes by a wide margin. The prices today reflect supply and demand. The supercharged and dual four-barrel cars are the ones that sell at the highest prices and compare well to the Corvettes due to the relative rarity of those cars.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

Those are very different numbers than I found...I have to think that when we're talking T-birds, YOU are the man Lew! 

• Like 1

If the brakes were gone through, and the car runs fine, at the right price, this could be a nice driver. I wouldn't worry about it getting a little beat up in daily use. I was just cursing my  "17 Flex, sometimes the car doesn't recognize the "key" and the tailgate doesn't want to open because it thinks that its on a downgrade. Now the back up camera is on the blink. I've been wondering if I would be happier with a no tech car, at least as a hobby car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Dalef62, the lower dash has been painted tan, to match the rest of the updated (custom color) interior. The interior colors available for 1955 were red and white; black and white; turquoise and white; and black and yellow. I believe the dash cover was changed to the 1956 color green (easy to do since the dash is the same for both years). The only way to tell the original interior color is to look at the data plate. I am guessing it is probably black and white.

I agree this could certainly be a good driver, no major parts are missing, and the early T-Birds have one of the best parts networks of a 1950s car, with more than a half dozen outlets for parts.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1