1959 Ford Skyliner - $48K

It seems now that there are modern examples of this retracting hard top concept, these have lost some of their appeal. 

Do you think that's correct? (I keep getting a CL Error on the contact info) 

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/galt-ford-skyliner/7765051148.html#

1959 Ford Fairlane Galaxie Skyliner Convertible.
* 2 Owner vehicle. Purchased it from original owner.
* owned it for 4 years.
* V8
* 3 speed Manual Transmission
* everything works on vehicle. Turn Key!
* Asking $48,000

Ford Skyliner 100l0l_krR5oZmfl8k_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00F0F_jCEzbqn3ho3_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00808_cEOYOx5wQ7e_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

IMO the wide white wall tires do not do anything to enhance the look of this car, better look on a pre-war auto. Ever since I saw the Retractable in Geranium and black, that two tone really suits this model car. I'm spoiled now. 

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I don't recall ever seeing a retractable with a manual tranny.

Not just manual but the data plate shows overdrive. 😁

An automatic transmission would be more likely on an upscale car but there is an interesting feature on Skyliners with a manual shift. 

We all know You should never try to put the top up or down while you are driving. If you try this with a cloth top it will tear and break the bows. 

On a retractable it would do some serious damage, so Ford wired the top so that it would not get power unless you were in park or neutral. This is not difficult with the neutral safety switch. 
But with a manual shift it is a little harder. Ford added a little bump to the shift rod under the dashboard. That bump depressed a switch whenever the lever was in neutral and it allowed power to go to the top.  

Cute, but that button switch is getting depressed with every shift as the linkage passes through neutral. It was a stout switch but everything eventually wears out. I learned about the existence of the setup repairing a manual shift Skyliner once. 

Even the shop manual doesn’t highlight it because, how many 3 pedal Skyliners were they expecting to build? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1