Wanted: 1920 or earlier steering shaft with worm gear

10 hours ago, Lahti35 said:

I had an unfortunate mishap and am in need of a steering worm gear for my 1920 DB, drop me a line if you have one you can part with. PM works best!

IMG_20240626_214322967_HDR.jpg

For those of us who haven't studied these earlier parts, can you post a part number maybe for the column or the part itself in case we have one in stock? And, are they possibly interchangeable with any other years?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What years would a complete box and/or the worm be interchangable with?

I think the best bet would to replace the worm and gear as a set.

Thanks for the replies guys...

I'm afraid I don't know much about year interchange, I haven't been able to find much myself. It appears there are a few different kinds of assemblies. My style has the worm and 3 washers on each side. Another type appears to have ball bearings instead of the washers. A third type appears to have a different housing and shorter shaft coming out of it and fits later cars but I have no idea if the gears inside are the same, it would seem to be a possibility. 

My steering gear housing has "C 7134 E" cast into the side facing the engine but it's the only number I can see. The actual worm itself has no markings I can find. 

On 7/4/2024 at 1:27 AM, cutdown said:

What's wrong with those gears? And how can you tell if they are not cleaned up? 

The worm cracked when I was pressing it off, it's got a nice big split on one end running from the center out that's open 1/32 of an inch or so.

Do you still need the steering gears?

D.B. built Jan. 3, 1922

Send me a P.M. with address and I will mail them.

No charge for parts and no charge for shipping.

Mike. D.B. member # 5649

20240707_133529.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/7/2024 at 2:50 AM, Lahti35 said:

The worm cracked when I was pressing it off, it's got a nice big split on one end running from the center out that's open 1/32 of an inch or so.

Bit of a bummer there. Cant remember what I did to mine when I reconditioned it 40 years ago. Must have been lucky as the worm was ok. New eccentric bush made and it was sweat. I probably made new worm shaft bushes as well.   Filled it with 90 oil.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cutdown said:

Bit of a bummer there. Cant remember what I did to mine when I reconditioned it 40 years ago. Must have been lucky as the worm was ok. New eccentric bush made and it was sweat. I probably made new worm shaft bushes as well.   Filled it with 90 oil.

Stuff happens... I just wish it didn't happen to me, lol! 

I'll be going the same route with new bushings on the worm shaft, more play in there than I'd like to see. My eccentric bushing is really good, I lucked out there!

• Like 1