For Sale: 1964 Chevrolet Belair 4dr Sedan, 6-cyl. Powerglide, 19K miles - $8,500 - Syracuse, NY - Not Mine

For Sale: 1964 Chevrolet Belair 4dr Sedan, 6-cyl. Powerglide, 19K miles - $8,500 - Syracuse, NY

1964 Chevrolet Belair for sale by owner - Syracuse, NY - craigslist
Seller's Description:

Barn-find in Minnesota brought back to life and is road worthy. Current NYS Inspection/Registration. 19,022 original miles (thought to be accurate), new tires, brakes, and exhaust. Engine runs smooth, no smoke, starts easily, and does not burn oil. Paint and interior are 100% original, what you see is what you get. Interior needs cosmetic work: carpet, seat covers, etc. Car is nowhere near perfect, and pictures make car look nicer than it truly is but still a survivor that has many more miles to go. Own a piece of American history without breaking the Bank. Price is FIRM
Copy and paste in your email: 3f3382657b1f318597302217b862f6cd@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1964 Chevrolet Belair 4dr Sedan, 6-cyl. Powerglide, 19K miles.

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY a.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY b.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY c.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY d.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY e.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY f.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY g.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY h.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY i.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY j.jpg

'64 Chevrolet Belair NY k.jpg

• Like 4

On my first cross country visit to the east coast from California in the '60's, I was surprised by the number and popularity of base 4-door sedans like this that populated the streets and neighborhoods of suburban New York and New England. Where hardtops, deluxe wagons, and fancy, highly optioned models were more the norm out west, the practical folks in the east knew winter road salt would doom their automotive investment in a matter of a few short years.

A good bumper to bumper detail job would make this a real charmer.

This Chevy is a good representative of times gone by and should find a nostalgic buyer soon. 

• Like 4

This Chevrolet is representative of the type of sedans practical folks like my parent and grandparents bought and used by the millions for daily transportation: ordinary, dependable and unglamorous.

• Like 1

I knew an old bodyman/painter who had this very car, but with a 283 instead of the six.  He changed his oil every 1000 miles and that engine purred.  Problem was the winter salt wound-up consuming the body and frame.  i wonder what this one looks like underneath.  The frame appears pretty red in the engine compartment...

11 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

On my first cross country visit to the east coast from California in the '60's, I was surprised by the number and popularity of base 4-door sedans...

That's a perceptive observation, Mr. Trucker.

I never quite thought of that.  My father used to say,

"All that trim is just a place for rust to start," and he

always bought a mid-range model, not the high end

of any line.

How disappointing it would be to a car fan to buy

a premium, great-looking car, only to have it rust in 3 years!

• Like 1

Back in the early 90s I bought a low mileage 1963 BelAir 283 Powerglide 4-dr sedan I used as a daily driver. It was a clean one owner car from the estate of an elderly lady who passed away, light blue with a white top, a wonderful car. Mechanically, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I was originally a garage kept Ohio car that had very little if any rust when I bought it. However, I drove it year round, parked it outside most of the time and the rust just started taking over. Lower front fenders, rear quarters, and all 4 doors. Most discouraging was the slow but steady disappearance of the front edge of the hood. I kept the rust patched up as best I could but after 10 years and with 160K on the odometer I gave up sold the car. It was fine mechanically and still running strong but I think that car rusted away faster than any vehicle I've ever owned.