1932 Plymouth special roadster built in Finland?

tinsled

This photo is taken in Helsinki, Finland, July 17th 1932. It shows ms. Hasselberg beside a 1932 Plymouth built by Mr. Blomqvist in H1/1932. She is about to start in Helsinki-Hanko road race. The car was used in various racing events in Finland and Sweden in early 30's. 

The question: Is there any similar bodywork known for Plymouth PB?

May be an image of 6 people, car and text

• Like 3

Kuvan autossa ei näytä olevan mitään mikä viittaa nimenomaan ’32 Plymouth PB Roadsteriin (Olen itse omistanut sellaisen jo lähes 35 vuotta ja tähän mennessä ajellut sillä noin 100000 mailia).

En osaa sanoa mikä tuon kuvassa näkyvä auton lähtökohta on ollut, mutta luulisin Mobilisti lehden, sen lukijakunnan tai SAHK’n arkistojen pystyvän parhaiten asiassa auttamaan mysteerin selvittämisessä.

Minun silmissä kuvan vaunu näyttää Englanti- (Aston Martin, Bentley, jne) tai Ranskalaiselta (Talbot-Lago, jne).

Above translated in English: 

The pictured car doesn’t appear to have any features specific for ‘32 Plymouth PB Roadster (I’ve owned one already nearly 35 years and so far driven her approximately 100000 miles).

I can’t say what the car in the picture started as butimagine “Mobilisti” (= local magazine specializing in antique/classic vehicles), its readers or SAHK (= local equivalent of AACA) archives would be best sources to assist with solving this mystery.

In my eyes the pictured vehicle looks either English or French origin.

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Kuvan autossa ei näytä olevan mitään mikä viittaa nimenomaan ’32 Plymouth PB Roadsteriin (Olen itse omistanut sellaisen jo lähes 35 vuotta ja tähän mennessä ajellut sillä noin 100000 mailia).

En osaa sanoa mikä tuon kuvassa näkyvä auton lähtökohta on ollut, mutta luulisin Mobilisti lehden, sen lukijakunnan tai SAHK’n arkistojen pystyvän parhaiten asiassa auttamaan mysteerin selvittämisessä.

Minun silmissä kuvan vaunu näyttää Englanti- (Aston Martin, Bentley, jne) tai Ranskalaiselta (Talbot-Lago, jne).

Above translated in English: 

The pictured car doesn’t appear to have any features specific for ‘32 Plymouth PB Roadster (I’ve owned one already nearly 35 years and so far driven her approximately 100000 miles).

I can’t say what the car in the picture started as butimagine “Mobilisti” (= local magazine specializing in antique/classic vehicles), its readers or SAHK (= local equivalent of AACA) archives would be best sources to assist with solving this mystery.

In my eyes the pictured vehicle looks either English or French origin.

Well, there is a historic record, that one Mr. Blomqvist has built this car in 1932 and it has been registered as 1932 Plymouth. Supposing they have used Plymouth PB frame, engine and drive train, but suspension and body has probably been custom built by skilfull racing car fitter/team. There are period magazine articles refering this car as Plymouth, thus most probably majority of mechanical parts would be Plymouth PB. This is not unusual since majority of 30's racing cars in Finland were "specials" built by local teams using common production cars frames and engines. There were only a handful of top drivers who ever got to get a true racing car such as Alfa Romeo, Talbot, Mercedes or Bugatti in Finland.

Another photo of the same car, found in the ww.web; Body definetely looks like custom built resembling the 30's GP car fashion.

Wheels appear to be common wood spoke wheels with aluminium plate rim cover plates.

image.png.96e2563fabfdfcfcefebe5e5f791b571.png

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

The only part that remotely resembles a 1932 Plymouth to me is the hood.

... and the radiator shroud (apart the protective wire mesh, which is after market accessory).

- what about the front of the frame and the leaf springs?

1 hour ago, tinsled said:

Well, there is a historic record, that one Mr. Blomqvist has built this car in 1932 and it has been registered as 1932 Plymouth. Supposing they have used Plymouth PB frame, engine and drive train, but suspension and body has probably been custom built by skilfull racing car fitter/team. There are period magazine articles refering this car as Plymouth, thus most probably majority of mechanical parts would be Plymouth PB. This is not unusual since majority of 30's racing cars in Finland were "specials" built by local teams using common production cars frames and engines. There were only a handful of top drivers who ever got to get a true racing car such as Alfa Romeo, Talbot, Mercedes or Bugatti in Finland.

Well, based on both or either photos and from where I sit, the shape of the front frame, forward mounting attachments of front springs to it, rear frame shape or the hood design/shape don’t appear anything like a PB, at least not to me.

I also don’t believe PB four cylinder engine or rest of the running gear, all capable for 40-45 MPH, would’ve lend them very practical or smart choice for a “racing” car, but who knows, people have done stranger things …

Are there more pictures of it from different angles and better yet, inside the cockpit & engine compartment or underside ?

Or perhaps before/during construction ?

Does it still exists ?

Regardless, looks like it would’ve been a blast to drive that 75 mile treck to Hanko.

P.S. The first image shows the car wearing “Koe” (“Testing” for temporary use) front plate and second image doesn’t look like Finnish plate of the period. 
So was it built in Sweden (Blomqvist & Hasselberg both being Swedish language surnames) or … ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, tinsled said:

... and the radiator shroud (apart the protective wire mesh, which is after market accessory).

- what about the front of the frame and the leaf springs?

Looks a lot more like a 1929 Plymouth. Looks like the "thin profile" radiator shell. The frame horns are very similar to 1929 Plymouth also, I think or maybe 1929 Chrysler with the cross tube in front.

1929 Ply.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks for the comments, the origins of the car are a mystery to me, hoping there will be more info available here in Finland...

There was a piece of information, that the engine would have been a six taken from a 1927 Chrysler "70".

Mr. Blomqvist is a finn, Blomqvist is fairly common family name in Finland as well in Sweden.

Ms. Hasselberg's father was a swedish business man, supposing he has been funding at least a part of the project.

Ms. Hasselberg lived in Helsinki or nearby.

Unfortunately I do not have more photos of this car. The staring photo I came across by chance in a FB group sharing historical photos of Helsinki. The other photo without people in it was found at a commercial web service, which sells high quality images for commercial purposes.

The reg.plate in 1st photo is a 30's temporary test drive plate, indeed. However the reg.pl. in 2nd photo is definetely also a finnish plate from the 30's.

It reads "A-321" which is a series used in Helsinki and Uudenmaan lääni in early 30's. This is a bit of a surprise, because acc. to the photo source the photo was taken in Stockholm. Probably the photo was taken immediately after the car was moved from Helsinki to Sweden? 

While I agree the license plate in the second photo has typical features of those used in Finland back in the day, i.e. black plate with white lettering (and yes, the “A” indicating Helsinki/Uudenmaa region.

It’s the smaller signs before the letter “A” that I failed to see clearly, but could they be letters C & D stacked on top of each other and if yes, I’m sure you know what that would mean, “Corps Diplomatique”, right ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 5:58 PM, TTR said:

While I agree the license plate in the second photo has typical features of those used in Finland back in the day, i.e. black plate with white lettering (and yes, the “A” indicating Helsinki/Uudenmaa region.

It’s the smaller signs before the letter “A” that I failed to see clearly, but could they be letters C & D stacked on top of each other and if yes, I’m sure you know what that would mean, “Corps Diplomatique”, right ?

The space in the left of the first digit was reserved for yearly stamp and insurance stamp in finnish reg.plates in the 30's and 40's.

In top left corner there is the year, in this case probably "32", in low left a round white circle where the inspection/insurance stamp was put.

Thus the reg.plate seen in the PB racer is a common finnish reg.plate from early 30's - not any CD or any other special plate

rek_1930_600_x_450.jpg

• Like 1