1940 buick super engine id bmv166711nd

DLF

That number IS NOT a factory stamped number.   Numbers were ground off, restamped , etc, by rebuilders.     A picture of the driver side of the engine MAY help to determine if it is other than 1940.   If you want to, I believe the original engine number is stamped on the block under the water pump.

Welcome to the forum!   

Ben

• Like 1

I usually look at the exhaust manifold (if it is on the car) to determine if it is a 320 ci or the smaller engine. 

The 320 has a 3 piece exhaust manifold... there is a section under the intake and the front and back sections plug into the center piece. 

• Thanks 1

The engine you have is definitely newer than 1940. You can tell by the presence of the rectangular engine mounting pad located towards the bottom of the block on both sides. You can see the pad between the distributor and the draft tube. This engine mounting style was first used in 1948. There was a bracket and rubber engine  mounting pad attached to both sides of the block as shown in the attached picture of the engine in a 1948 Buick.

104-0499_IMG.JPG.c44df508808cb72ba0e33a5c6a82357c.JPG

DLF,  for sure a 1948 or later.    See the water pump in 48Supers picture?   If yours looks like that, it is a 1948 or 1949.   If there is a "neck" coming off of the pump and connecting to the block just below the exhaust manifold, it is 1950 .   The original engine probably gave up the ghost in the early '50s and was replaced with one of the many available ones from the salvage yard.  Not a bad thing.

Stay with us!!

Ben

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I usually look at the exhaust manifold (if it is on the car) to determine if it is a 320 ci or the smaller engine. 

The 320 has a 3 piece exhaust manifold... there is a section under the intake and the front and back sections plug into the center piece. 

That works.  Another TELL is the crankcase ventilation intake.   Back near the rear of the engine on the 248/263.   Near the front, sorta behind the generator, on the 320.

Ben

6 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Sorry I usely do 60 and 70 cars. This is my first pre war car. The manifold is one piece attached to the exhaust under the carburetor . Here's some pictures of the motor monts on the front and back. And the exhaust port

20240607_141023.jpg

20240607_140950.jpg

20240607_140959.jpg

After WWII, Buick had a formal program to promote installation of new engines in older model Buicks. I think they must have had the ability to produce new engines more quickly than complete new cars and they wanted to take advantage of this situation. Here is an ad which illustrates this. 

1948 Buick Engine Ad_0001.jpg