1935 Buick engine paint

I painted my 28 engine with the Hirsch enamel. It goes on easy with brush or spray right out of the can. Looks good even with one coat. Leaves no brush marks with a good bristle. Takes about two days to dry completely.

• Like 2

If you get a small can of that paint,  you get the cheepest cost per volume.    Then I took it to my Sherwin Williams store that will take it and put it in an aerosol can.     That gives you the best looking finish  and you will  have the most paint left.       The SW  store that will do this does not charge much to put the enamel into an aerosol can.   I created 4 or 5 spray can as necessary over 9 months resulting in low cost and not feel bad about having to throw away cans that got clogged up.   

15 minutes ago, Jim Nelson said:

If you get a small can of that paint,  you get the cheepest cost per volume.    Then I took it to my Sherwin Williams store that will take it and put it in an aerosol can.     That gives you the best looking finish  and you will  have the most paint left.       The SW  store that will do this does not charge much to put the enamel into an aerosol can.   I created 4 or 5 spray can as necessary over 9 months resulting in low cost and not feel bad about having to throw away cans that got clogged up.   

Good idea.

You will need to search to find which stores do it.    Mine was a store that sold nuts and bolts for automotive application.    If you need the store type that does it for cars - let me know as I pass close mine by when going to my shop.   Spray cans have little paint in them.   They have propellant that takes up a bunch of space.    Usually the can has about 10 % product and 90 % propellant .     So it's an expensive choice.    In my 'other world'  I kept our 'gas houses' running or designing new ones.    They used several flamable gasses.   Propane, Butane, iso butane etc.   

I recommend spraying with an air brush. All you need is an air compressor, or a portable tank you fill at a gas station will do. Filling spray bombs is okay but I find my air brush gives me much more control and better results. Nothing to shake, no propellants, no fumes. Just search Amazon for air brush where you can spend more for fancy options with a range of nozzles. My single nozzle brush is 40 years old as there is nothing that wears out. It is similar to the online version in this screenshot.

airbrush.JPG

• Like 1

I ordered supposedly Buick green engine POR 15 paint off of e bay but when I got it yesterday the can said Austin Healy green. I might still use it since its close.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a quart of paint from Bill Hirsh and I  bought from him before.Trouble is the paint he sent is almost identical to the Austin Healy green I got by mistake on e-bay. I used it anyway on The drivers side of the motor.

I got a nice surprise today.I received another qt.of engine paint, the right color! If anyone needs some earlier Buick green engine paint,I have almost a qt. they can have.

3 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I received another qt.of engine paint, the right color!

Huh?  :huh:

Did Hirsh discover and correct a mistake...?