1st generation rear 1/4 windows

RivNut

Posted (edited)

I had my '64 in a restoration shop for a while a couple of years ago.  Unbeknownst to me at the time someone removed the rear 1/4 windows and channels, both left and right.  After what seems like about a hundred hours of trying they won't go back in.  Had I have known what their intentions were, I would have said "DO NOT remove them !" but sadly I cannot turn back the clock.

Does anyone out there know of the trick to getting the two rollers lined up with the two channels when nothing can be fastened down.  Lots of videos on YouTube but they all end before the task has been completed.  I have a feeling the guys posting the videoes ran into the same problem and gave up.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Oh yeah. For those of you who would suggest "look on the chassis and/or body manuals" — we have and they don't explain squat (not my first choice of words.)

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Ed 

Many feel your pain….its been 2 years since I had those babies out and I don’t have the car here to even look at it. All I have is some cryptic notes in my book so I will hit you with them and cross my fingers something gels!

Access panel off!

Motor and arm in first

Guide in next and position upper adjustment bolts to forward and bottom of slots.

Put glass in back first push door guide away outward.

Slot rollers and glass into track and push top adjustment up and back and allow glass down to lower stop.

Fit lower window cam over arm roller and screw with curve facing forward.

Fit rear cam to rear window roller.

Then the adjustments start😵‍💫

God luck!!!

PS without this guide removed I could never get the glass in or out!

IMG_5134.jpeg

Edited by Dundee (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Dundee said:

Ed 

Many feel your pain….its been 2 years since I had those babies out and I don’t have the car here to even look at it. All I have is some cryptic notes in my book so I will hit you with them and cross my fingers something gels!

Access panel off!

Motor and arm in first

Guide in next and position upper adjustment bolts to forward and bottom of slots.

Put glass in back first push door guide away outward.

Slot rollers and glass into track and push top adjustment up and back and allow glass down to lower stop.

Fit lower window cam over arm roller and screw with curve facing forward.

Fit rear cam to rear window roller.

Then the adjustments start😵‍💫

God luck!!!

PS without this guide removed I could never get the glass in or out!

IMG_5134.jpeg

It all sounds good on paper but we've gone through every possible scenario.  Watched a couple of YouTube videos that do everything but finish the task.  I'm thinking it's time to give up on this DIY $#%* and call in a professional.   

If you’ve done this and used this illustration as a guide, you would know that the four marked “window regulator mounting screws” are drawn in incorrectly.  If you’ll point out where it gives detailed instructions for installation,  I would really appreciate it.  As far as gloves are concerned, they’re too bulky to get your hands inside the cavity. Rubber gloves are worthless. You cannot see inside the cavity, it all is done by feel.  Also, gloves are worthless when it comes to feel. I have a feeling that women with their smaller hands worked on this part of the assembly line.

I actually never had your issues, done it a number of times probably without the aid of the book. Just winged it.

I think you're flummoxed and making too big a deal of it. Sounds like you are getting really frustrated.

Walk away before something gets broken or you get hurt. 

If you don't give up on it completely and decide to try again wear cotton gloves. 

Rubberised cotton gloves by the ten pack for cars. The job is possible don’t forget the video on the second one when you get it figured out your own way 🤪

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ed , Yes you are correct skinny  thin hands and arms make a differents.

A small thing you may  not have tried or realize,  because both windows are in pairs,

alot of times it helps by picking the easy est side to do first, because if you are right handed

the passenger side might be easy er,---then do the drivers side  second,--and get used to using left hand

as well fitting some difficult screws on an angle.---dont give up you will get them done.

Edited by Wayne R
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I did this just last year, to replace my plastic guides and clean the channels.

I remember it took a lot of jiggling and fussing, required having the nuts on the two upper guide studs entirely removed so the whole assembly had a lot of play, and even then I think I ended up applying some force at some point and thinking, "this is probably a bad idea".  But I got it in there.  I also remember thinking, "How in the world did they mass produce these cars??"  and wondering if the guys on the assembly line had some efficient way of doing it that was totally escaping me.

• Like 1