Grateful for Antique Automobile

The only car/truck magazine I subscribe to is Collectible Automobile and it's all stock. If you make a comment to the editor about correctness to their text, they acknowledge and usually print it in the next issue as they are interested in the facts.

I didn't want to dump Hemmings primarily because they featured one of my cars, but the enough is enough reached the saturation point a few years back.

5 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Crager SS wheels !! One of my least favorite. Just not a fan of chromed die cast centers attached to a steel rim. Give me a one piece alloy wheel any day. Cragar SS's are heavy and the chrome is poor quality. Around here they often looked like crap after a year or two from the corrosion heaving up the chrome on the center portion. 

But I know, different strokes.

I have a couple of cars set up for grand touring, the two tracks I went to wouldn't allow C S/S on the track. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 5:22 PM, West Peterson said:

I was editor of Car Collector for 15 years, and Managing Editor (then Editor) of Cars & Parts after that. I saw the writing on the wall, and bailed on both of them. I'm now finishing my 20th year with Antique Automobile. Time flies when you're having fun.

Don't even consider bailing. Have a tall glass of whatever your equivalent  of Ed's Crown Royal is ( perhaps a fine Islay single malt?) and commit for another twenty years.

• Like 3

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around West editing AA for 20 years already. Plus what he did before arriving here!:huh:

I like to quote Neil Young in my old car endeavors. Seems appropriate here, especially since he wrote this as tribute to a 1948 Buick hearse he owned long before LincVolt came along.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pmhowe said:

Don't even consider bailing. Have a tall glass of whatever your equivalent  of Ed's Crown Royal is ( perhaps a fine Islay single malt?) and commit for another twenty years.

Apparently my tastes are much higher than Ed's. I have CR in the cabinet, but only because I want to be prepared if Ed ever shows up in my garage (he keeps promising). 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 10:09 AM, edinmass said:

I see resto mods that cost 600k-1.2m here in Florida. Not my cup of tea.  They sure are interesting and have great build quality. Some of the stuff is really off the wall. Ever see a VW 23? Window van with 800 horsepower? 

Restomods $600,000 to $1,200,000. I'm trying to process that.

I've been living in various hick towns most of my life(well, except for McLean, Virginia), where jobs paying more than $100,000 a year are an absurd fantasy, so that boggles my mind. Couldn't a guy pick up a new Aston-Martin[$245,000 for a DB-12], Bentley [Bentayga Hybrid $203,200], Rolls-Royce [Cullinan $392,000], or Lamborghini [Urus $238,000] and feel like you scored a K-Mart Blue Light Special? Gee, you could cheap out on one of these and have a better car, in my opinion.

image.jpeg.690e1ad4a1cd289c89480882e8b1b721.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1