Steering Knuckle Grease Seal

wufibug

Below is the grease seal I pulled out of the steering knuckle of my 90 Reatta.  I cannot seem to find the proper replacement for it as there is no part number on it and it just looks different than all the seals on the internet that I have seen.  Anyone have a part number?

Steering Knuckle Grease seal botom.jpeg

Steering Knuckle Grease seal top.jpeg

If you live in a populated area there is usually a "bearing" supplier and they carry seals. 

Take it to them and they can probably find one.   I am not home to look in the GM parts book but 

that would not give anything but the GM number.     

Barney, even the GM number would be useful.  I was surprised that rockauto did not sell this seal and the pictures of the ones on EBAY did not seem to match, to my eye anyway.  Mine is not is that bad shape but since I am renewing most everything in this rebuild, I figured I could include this seal.

14084119 is the GM part number shown for 1986 -1991 (including Riviera)   but no seal is shown for the 1992-93 Riviera. 

Found a Timken cross reference to their part number....  5698

I don't think the seal in question is actually a "grease" seal. I believe it is a seal to keep dirt and water out of the knuckle and off the back side of the hub.

The hub is an assembly that bolts onto the knuckle. It contains the wheel bearings. If there is grease inside the knuckle, other than a little to lubricate the axle splines, the hub must have a bad wheel bearing allowing grease to escape from the hub.

Very strange.  When I put Barney's GM part number in rockauto I do indeed get the Timkin 5698 coming up.  Cross checked with EBAY and got the 5698 among others.  But the 5698 and the 100 others I looked at just don't match my 90 Reatta OEM.  Then an EBAY search turned up the OEM looking seal, but for a whopping $100!  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154973406376?itmmeta=01HXWCTNK1XQH003Q1NQ4D9206&hash=item24152284a8:g:iMoAAOSwWV5kK0uj&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4LYMvL5lQ2kj3u1%2FtcVklUlfm3XxVSNzQtq37XNHoQfltm%2F3Rk98jRwBrxtv0W6RwMX7YKUprIkydk%2BrA8FJ3zbdhzsl5E%2FFxp0E%2F6gGN%2BfryNQdzDMv%2F%2BKLZ03%2Bo%2BJjhoaMkM32lub%2FoWA1Iq3A7a5UsqrYB5apyBUFUGUSqlTFY1E8Zxo8JNThw0fZ8KajaBlWe023xfRNYJxQlg4uzbRYFoKmWvGbfqTbDny3TIAZavjMfwtLuerOz2nFohzx7i8cAoSA7U2xLqoaS9p9DsTVPFiO8u4mrokfcG0f4u6X|tkp%3ABFBMytnqjO9j

I sent a message to the seller asking if the $100 price tag was an error.  

21 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I don't think the seal in question is actually a "grease" seal. I believe it is a seal to keep dirt and water out of the knuckle and off the back side of the hub.

That's my take as well; the wheel bearings are sealed in the hub assembly and the CV joint is also sealed by the bellows.  The seal in question rides against the 'bell' end of the axle and seems to be there just to keep debris from accumulating in the cavity between the outer CV joint and the inner hub bearing.  I wouldn't be too worried about just cleaning-up and reinstalling the original as long as it isn't damaged.

• Like 2

Looking at the knuckle more closely, I agree.  Turns out the price for these seals is $9.50 each including shipping so for that I decided to buy the 2 he has.

• Like 1