1928 Standard Coupe

Hi guys,

I have a Buick and was wondering if there are any aftermarket overdrive kits available or if anyone has managed to adapt a Mitchell unit for the Model A to work with the Buick drivetrain?

I think most have done nothing.  I have a 4.9 to 1 ratio like most of these cars.  Are there even any gear swaps available?  An overdrive unit installation would be a lot of modification.    Hugh

I thought of changing the ring and pinion gears to alter the final drive ratios but doing so would change all three transmission gears as well. Being able to split those as you would with an overdrive such as the type that Mitchell manufacture is more along the lines of what I was after. I suppose I ought to actually try driving the car with the factory output ratios to see what it is like to cruise under normal conditions. In the past I have changed ring and pinion gears from the likes of factory 3.7:1  upped to 4.1:1 for better off-roading so the prospect of 4:9:1 seems a little restrictive for top end speed in third gear. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, you should drive it . But a 28 Buick is a 45-50 mph car. That was good speed in '28.  Remember if you get it up to 60 you have to be able to stop too. 

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)
  • Like 3