1968 Riviera temperature adjust cable

I am going to start working on my air conditioning system. It blows air, but not cold. First thing I noticed is there is a cable that attaches to the “temperature adjust“ that opens and closes the door. That cable at the moment is seized up and will not slide in and out of the housing. I will attempt to spray some lubricant into the end and see if it loosens up so I don’t have to remove and replace. Could be tricky sliding through the firewall and disconnecting from the control switch, not alot of space under the dash as the switch seems to tucked under, but meanwhile, I’m wondering is this cable even available. I see plenty of cables online but not one that specifically says for my car. Any suggestions?

I would load the cable up with some pb blaster let it soak overnight. Next day undo the most accessible cable end and try to work it through its range of motion with a pair of pliers. Might take two or three passes. 

I believe a guy on v8buick.com is parting out a car, might have what your looking for if you'd can't be salvaged

• Like 1

So the cable is good. I disconnected the cable and sprayed some PJ Blast down the cable. Also the plastic clamp that holds the cable in place was broken so I replaced it with another clamp (metal). Removed the leaking condenser and was trying to install the new after market one but it will need a little modifying (like all after market items). As soon as I am done I will take to the AC guy to replace the compressor and some hoses and hopefully I will have a original running AC system.

The plan is to try and keep it R-12. Hopefully I can get the radiator back in and to the AC guy this weekend.

I will have this discussion with him about R-12 vs R-134a.

I figured while the radiator is out and I have access to certain areas I will give a good cleaning and paint touch up in those areas.

I cleaned the fan shroud and applied some "back to black" now it almost looks new.

• Like 1

I'd try to keep it R-12 as long as possible.  I'm still running R-12 in my '67, but there is a slow leak somewhere...

13 minutes ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Old Air Parts in Dallas has the replacement two cable kit for 68 Riviera. They used my original 68 Riv cables to create their kit. 

Correction: They are actually located in Fort Worth!

• Thanks 1