Added Fuel Pump, pre-1946

kgreen

Curious, why are fuel pumps point deductible item on post 1946 cars?

Language from judging manual:

"Added on fuel pumps (electric or mechanical) which replace or supplement the original type pump or fuel supply device on 1946 and later vehicles are considered non-authentic and will receive the maximum deduction. Added on fuel pumps on pre-1946 vehicles should be located out of view and installed in a workmanlike manner."

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kgreen said:

Curious, why are fuel pumps point deductible item on post 1946 cars?

Well, I will take a stab in the dark that electric fuel pumps (or a add on booster pump) would not be typically Original Equipment from the factory for most vehicles with carburetors on post 1946 cars.. Which would be why points would be deducted in judging if they see an electric fuel pump..

Generally if you don't want points deducted, you will have to have everything just like it was when it left the factory floor. Basically no modifications that can be seen which means if you really have your heart set on an electric fuel pump (why you would want one I don't understand), you are going to have to hide/disguise it and any modifications like that extremely well and risk the judges finding your hidden fuel pump..

Edited by ABear (see edit history)

Some pre 1946 cars used gravity feed or a vacuum tank fuel pump system.

Gravity feed, depending on location of the tank and how little fuel is in the tank and you may not have enough fuel getting to the carb with certain conditions like climbing a steep hill.. If you couldn't lift the tank, adding a aux pump could solve that problem.

Vacuum tank fuel pumps when they work, they work well, but everything in the tank like check valves and diagram must be in good working order to get it to work right.  Finding folks to repair them and/or parts can be a bit of a challenge so sometimes a different aux fuel pump gets added..

Not saying it is right or correct, but once again, if you want to have your car judged, it is always the best idea to keep it as original as possible by following the rules laid out.

Look at this way, it is AACAs Judging contest, they wrote the rules of engagement, if you want to have the best chance to earn a award you simply follow the rules.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Changing the fuel delivery system with no deduction should not be tolerated. 
If you feel you must , or feel like your improving reliability,

so be it. However it is no more than cutting corners. 
And potentially dangerous on an updraft carb. 
Dennis

Edited by dl456
Add info (see edit history)

The reality is that gasoline has changed.  It used to be that you could shut the car off and gas would stay in the carb.  Now the fuel is much more volatile so the carb becomes dry.  An electric fuel pump helps to fill the carb bowl to get the car started when the engine is hot or after sitting for a while.  It's not that hard to hide an electric fuel pump and a switch to activate it to start the car.  But, it sure helps a lot to have one!  My 1941 Studebaker Commander is very happy to have an electric fuel pump and so am I.

• Like 1

Hello Gary,

I agree that a supplemental fuel pump can be helpful with today’s fuel. 
Your Studebaker can easily handle the pressure at the needle and seat.

My post was aimed more at the pre 30 cars intended to be gravity or vacuum feed. If the fuel system is restored correctly,electric fuel pumps are not necessary and a potential hazard. 
Dennis

14 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

My 1941 Studebaker Commander is very happy to have an electric fuel pump and so am I.

I know this question has been asked often but please tell me again how the electric pump works with the mechanical pump. Does the fuel flow through the electric pump even when it’s not pumping. Thank you. 

Posted (edited)

There are several styles of electric fuel pumps. You want to install one that allows fuel to flow through its internal check valves without the motor running. Good news, most of the cheaper electric pumps fit this criteria. The geo rotor types do not allow fuel to flow.

Extremely important! Choose an electric of the proper psi range for your carburetor. In the Corvair world this is #1 problem for people who install an electric (as the only pump usually, long story of poorly manufactured pumps failing of: check valves falling out, diaphragm failing putting gasoline in oil pan,  and vapor lock issues, but I digress!😉) pump. Corvairs need 4 psi MAX! Real happy

with 2.5 PSI, especially turbos with the YH.

So the quick answer I already went two paragraphs...😮  is yes, electrics can flow fuel without running to allow the use for a push/temporary switch to allow priming after long periods of non-use.

Gravity fed updrafts are what, 1/2 psi needle rated? Hard to get an electric in that range, and the less than $100 regulators are &^%# ! Especially in the 1/2 psi range of operation.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2