tips for restoration

9 minutes ago, Rivguy said:

I will put in my 5 cents worth. Pick a car from the 1950's, something that will be driveable in modern traffic and can actually be used.

Actually Model As can easily be driven on most roads without too much of an issue, they can get 55MPH or even 60 MPH as is.. Sure braking and steering might be a bit suspect, but they can do it.

12 minutes ago, Rivguy said:

I think that Model As  are not something that will appeal to a young person, and will not be something that they would want to drive. I lean towards the T Bird and Corvette, but we don't know the condition of any of them.

Tbirds and Corvettes are typically way, way over done in my area as is Chevelles, Mustangs and so on.. See those all the time at local car cruises not to mention a lot of "tribute" versions which are basically made up versions from parts bins.

Show up to a car cruise with a Model A or pretty much any prewar car and you will generate a crowd of interested folks because they do look different from the rest of the crowd.. Sometimes not blending in is a lot more fun that having the 100th Corvette in red showing up at the same cruise..

Is a stock A the most prettiest or fastest on the earth, no, but in a crowd of "same", it definitely will gather interest.

As others have pointed out, paperwork first (make sure there are valid titles), find a car of common interest of both, then assess condition (IE good frame, engine and transmission not locked up), then assess what is wrong or what it needs to get engine running, after that brakes and steering.. Everything else after that can be dealt with down the road.

What they choose is up to them, not me or anyone else..

Heck it could even just be a "dream" to spend more personal time together and that is perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, ABear said:

This all depends on many factors, condition when parked, how long it has been parked, what it has been parked over or if it was covered..

Some older cars that have a strong following also have decent parts support and decent prices on the parts. Model As are one in that category

You are speaking from the perspective of someone who has experience with old cars and parts. 
I try to bring reality to novices who have no experience.  (A huge difference a steep learning curve) 

We all have been through it.  

I think of the novice questions that are frequently asked “You cannot get parts for old cars, the guy at Autozone told me so”.

Yes careful shopping affects project costs, but that comes only after you have completed several projects…….

The OPs first remarks mentioned the possibility of “fixing them all” which we know would be Herculean. 

. He is learning and we are all trying to share our own experiences and mistakes.  

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

You are speaking from the perspective of someone who has experience with old cars and parts. 
I try to bring reality to novices who have no experience.  (A huge difference a steep learning curve) 

We all have been through it.

We all have begun as "novices", sometimes this will come with the prerequisite "school of hard knocks" and "seat of pants" learning. 

I suspect the Grand Dad involved has had at least a little bit of education in both schools since it was the Grand Dad that started the collection.

Don't discount the Grand Dad from the education/learning curve of the OP, let them decide, not the forum.

It is easy to hand out a heaping dose of discouragement, it takes a lot more effort to repair the damage that heaping dose of discouragement can cause.

Glad I didn't listen to a forum when I said yes to taking my families car which was my Great Grand Dads, then my Grand Dads and then my Dad's.. My Great Grand Dad passed back in 1907 so that makes the car a labor of love with zero parts support..

I rely on what my Dad taught me to trouble shoot, make parts to fix it.. When I got it from my Dad, he hadn't ran it for 30yrs.. Engine was stiff from sitting, took me a yr of slowly rolling it over and adding oil until it came free.. Just needed freed up, a battery for ignition and some fuel to get it running..

To drive it, needed new tires, but they are a rare size and yes, they were expensive because of that.. Sadly, when my Dad handed the car to me, he was too frail to make it a father/son thing, but he did become a cheerleader from the sidelines to encourage me to continue working with the car.. It was very satisfying to be able to help him into the car and drive it around my yard with him once I got it running.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ABear said:

It is easy to hand out a heaping dose of discouragement, it takes a lot more effort to repair the damage that heaping dose of discouragement can cause

Good work with your family car. 

However today we are competing with the information dished out on YouTube and TV where relics are restored in an hour and always are profitable.  

A dose of reality helps balance the scales. 🤓

1 minute ago, m-mman said:

However today we are competing with the information dished out on YouTube and TV where relics are restored in an hour and always are profitable.  

Actually more like Tik-toc and it is done in 20 seconds or less.

I believe the Grand Dad will be able to manage the "reality" aspect much better than a forum can.

On 5/5/2024 at 5:03 AM, Tom Boehm said:

"Tools and a place to work" are two other very important issues not yet mentioned in this thread. 

I have posted more in this thread than I normally do. I perceive Aberdeen 09 to be about 15 years old (born 2009 ?). I think he has a lot of enthusiasm about his grandpa's cars but doesn't know the right questions to ask. I hope this thread will help him to succeed rather than being a wet blanket on his enthusiasm.

well you were right about all that, from my age to my enthusiasm. my grandpa though is going to be turning 78 this year, and right now hes having a bit of health problems, not serious ones i think, but problems none the less. but i want to add another car to the conversation. there is a, i think 1928 hupmobile, it was restored once, it looks pretty good, and everything appears to be there. i dont think it would be very hard to get it running, but then again, im not a expert, and you people are, so i  will listen to you mostly

Hello Aberdeen, my grandpa passed about 25 years ago but he used to talk fondly of the 28 Hupmobile he had in his younger years. Of all the cars you mentioned, the Hupp is the most interesting in my opinion. BUT....   by far that car will be the hardest to find parts and expertise on. 

Here are some more important questions:

1. How long have these cars been sitting unused?  Model As, Thunderbird, Corvette, Hupp?

2. Are these cars stored indoors?

3. Do you or your grandpa have a garage to work on a car?  

22 minutes ago, aberdeen09 said:

there is a, i think 1928 hupmobile, it was restored once, it looks pretty good, and everything appears to be there. i dont think it would be very hard to get it running,

Might be worth seeing if the engine isn't stuck, the downside is may not be much if any third party new or used parts support so if anything is in bad shape or braken you will have to find used parts or a donor car to source parts.

There is a Hupmobile subforum section within the AACA forums where you can ask questions specifically about that car..

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/102-hupmobile/

Parts can be a huge consideration on many old vehicles so unless you have a duplicate vehicle to borrow from some vehicles may be better suited for future projects or parts cars.

But once again, on any potential projects, if you want to eventually use them on public roads make sure you have a means to produce a good title or enough documentation that your State DMV will accept to register for on the road use.. Hate to see you put gobs of time and money into a vehicle that your State will not allow on the road.. Hopefully none of the vehicles had the serial numbers or VIN sent in for scrap.

yes, which is why we try to jack the cars up, and have them sit on top of supports, or something that will keep them off the  ground without damaging them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello Aberdeen09, how about directing your enthusiasm toward learning about the cars while you and grandpa are working out all the practical issues? Here are some questions to start many conversations with your grandpa. Think of this as automotive history 101. Take as much time as you want. You have an interesting and wide variety of cars.  You don't have to post the answers but you can impress the forum with your car knowledge if you do. 

1. How does a hydraulic brake system work? How does a mechanical brake system work? Which of your cars have mechanical brakes? 

2. Which of your cars has wood framework under the sheet metal of the body? Which cars have an all steel body?

3. What is the difference between an L head engine(flathead) and an overhead valve engine? Which of your cars have an L head engine? an overhead valve engine?

4. How is driving a Model A Ford different than driving a modern car? How do you accelerate in a Model A? What is double clutching? How do you start a Model A?

5. Do all your cars have an electric starter? Do any need to be cranked to start?

6. How is driving a car with a manual shift transmission different than driving a car with an automatic transmission? What is an unsynchronized manual transmission? Do any of your cars have an automatic transmission? Do any have a synchronized manual transmission? 

7. What does a manual choke do? Which of your cars has an automatic choke? 

This is very basic stuff and just scratches the surface. I hope these questions pique your curiosity. 

8. Later on I thought of another one:  What does it mean to advance the spark? How is that done? Which of your cars have automatic spark advance?

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, aberdeen09 said:

some cars are outdoors, but they are always covered up.

20 hours ago, aberdeen09 said:

we try to jack the cars up, and have them sit on top of supports, or something that will keep them off the  ground without damaging them.

Pictures!   We all love seeing pictures of peoples cars.  😁

Can you share some of grandpa’s collection?