1946 Chevrolet pickup, not mine.

I am not surprised at the price being asked. Trucks seem to be commanding rather high prices of late. They used to be bargains. I am sure it’s a combination of conditions.

some, such as a rare Mack pickup (yes they made them) or a heavy Federal pickup - which checks both the rare and style boxes, always have been pricey but now it seems they are all getting up there even the larger 1-1/2 ton trucks which, with a few notable exceptions, always lagged well behind their smaller brethren.

still bargains out there but they seem to be thinning out at bit.

• Like 1

Agreed. Nice restorations are getting or asking $25,000 to $55,000 or more. This one swapped out a full oil pressure Chevy 6 for the splash version, which is common.  

Parts are generally available. But with fewer and fewer old guys wanting to do restoration work themselves, they just flash 401k money and buy these overpriced trucks, driving the market up. 

I had a very similar '46 circa 1990. it was a fun and useable "classic". I think the trend toward high priced trucks makes them far less useful.

Would you want to pick up a load of steer manure after paying $38K? 

I have a nephew that just went to work for a local startup that will sell you a slightly later Chevy pickup for only $159,000.

There a a couple of companies resto-modding Broncos and similar vehicles at close to twice this price and they have waiting lists!

https://kindredmotorworks.com/models/kindred-chevy-3100/city-cruiser

Edited by Leif in Calif (see edit history)
  • Like 1