1927 Standard 6 27-25 Half Shaft Replacement

My newly acquired Standard 6 has just sheared the offside half shaft at the end of the splines in the diff. Just wonder if anybody has a detailed drawing as looking to get a pair made in the UK or any comments?

IMG_20240411_113648.jpg

IMG_20240411_113658.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew,

What are all the parts that you need to replace in the rear axle?  1926/1927/1928 Buick Standard are the same rear axle.  It would be less expensive to source an entire rear axle than to make the axle shafts.  These later axle shafts are better than the ones used in 1925.  Your's broke because it was either abused or mis adjusted.  If you can locate a rear axle and have someone remove the rear axle parts that saves on shipping.  Because of the torque tube design, that is a big triangular section of iron to ship.  If you could get them to separate the torque tube from the rear axle, that would make a much smaller package. 

A smaller lot would be:

- 2 axle shafts

- The ring gear assembly comes out easily with the axles removed

- The pinion shaft with the bearings is not too difficult to remove.  Just the shaft is long and you can take as is or have the shaft cut off.  I would take it long.  

They can keep all of the external metal housings.

Hugh  

IMG_5022.JPG.d179905eff7d5182e8117aa87abdd8f4.JPGIMG_6426.JPG.8bc4a3d1cdc6a808c30b2d2e28c5dcb8.JPGIMG_6435.JPG.7319f5bbfc946e32117f76362b95ab0c.JPG

• Like 1

Please post a photo of where it broke……up close. It’s common that a failure like that is often caused by bad clutch chatter.

• Like 2

Hi Edinmass,

This is the best photo I have. On stripping I found various issues with the rear wheel on the shaft that broke like loose on the taper, bad key and keyway and poor threads in the axle nut. I thought this was the cause but very interested to hear more about clutch juddder and its effects as my car does does do this some of the time. I have only managed to drive it around 100 miles since I got it!

Thanks,

Andrew

IMG_20240415_103048 (1).jpg

• Like 3

Same thing happened to me, my half shaft broke in the same spot. I purchased a NOS 1928 Standard shaft on Ebay but I think the only ones left are for the Master.

20230929_122843.jpg

20230928_184634.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Frank…….you probably had multiple issues causing the failure. Clutch chatter or shudder is a common problem that will cause axle failure. I was once at a meet and heard a guy take off with his car, I stopped him and gave him a heads up on the chatter………ten minutes later he was on the side of the road with a broken shaft. It’s very common. I recommend taking both sides apart to inspect for other issues. It seems that from 1928-1931 it was an industry wide problem on the manufacture of the shafts…….

• Like 2

Thanks for all your comments.

Larry - I would have been interested if I was in the US but don't think shipping the whole axle to the UK would economical for the parts I need.

Just wonder how easy it will be for you to find those parts here in Europa for a lower cost? I`m going to change my 1925 Buick Std.99 year old radiator here in Sweden and that will cost me 3000 US dollar?But what to do when the engine got hot for many years.(Cleaning didn`t help)

(Picture from 1967 when I bought the car.)

Hemma i Storvik  (3) - kopia.JPG

• Like 4