1939 Buick Special parking brake

MarkL

Happy Easter! First off, the rear cable was missing, ordered one from bob’s, pulled the drums and can’t figure if something is missing and how to hook up.. if anyone has an exploded view of how the parking brake parts fit would be greatly appreciated, heres pics of what I have…btw, I have several shop manuals that are not helpful..and I checked out Glen’s ‘38 restoration and couldn’t gleen what I need to see even though he’s posted great pics….ps the wheel cylinder with red spot is drivers side

IMG_3229.jpeg

IMG_3232.jpeg

IMG_3233.jpeg

Edited by MarkL
Add pics (see edit history)

there must be a part under the brake cylinder.

this has the same function as the brake cylinder and opens the brake shoes when you pull the handbrake cable.

The lower adjusting wheel is used to adjust the distance of the brake shoes relative to the brake drum.

Photo 1 shows that the brake pad is coming loose and this will have to be repaired because if it comes loose the wheel will become stuck.

Thanks for your quick responses! 39_Buick, are both sides the same? I only have the (1) strut that turns down with the spring see O and Q  on exploded view.. the other piece is flat and was in a box of parts that was in the trunk when I got the car… thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 5:22 PM, MarkL said:

Thanks for your quick responses! 39_Buick, are both sides the same? I only have the (1) strut that turns down with the spring see O and Q  on exploded view.. the other piece is flat and was in a box of parts that was in the trunk when I got the car… thanks

Group #5.149 Lever, Parking Brake (In Rear Brake) part #1310548 (Right) and part #1310549 (Left) and only fit 1939 (40-60) Series

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks NailheadBob, I just made a new post because I need parts O & Q for each side, if anyone out there has available would be greatly appreciated!