Brooklands 1920 - Racecar with female driver

wheel disc covers over the wire wheels to cut down wind resistance ,  Note the concrete surface - not to common in 1920 but was used in Brooklands ( I have been there at the track numerous times ) Brooklands had a magnificent 7 color enamel car badge depicting two race cars for its members in the pre war era. It took me decades to locate one of those badges and then months to restore it to like new condition.

• Like 2

Walt said "Brooklands had a magnificent 7 color enamel car badge depicting two race cars for its members in the pre war era. It took me decades to locate one of those badges and then months to restore it to like new condition." So can we have a peak please? A picture is worth in this case 40 words!

Wish I could provide this but if I provided a good photo then someone will copy it and use it or criticize me as they have in other things I contributed. Have stated that I will no longer contribute any images to the forums because of that earlier here - just don't need the aggravation when trying to do something positive. I am done. Will be glad to comment to help out for a better understanding share the period information I have access to , but no more images.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

that is it . it is a fairly large badge and would mount in a radiator cap or on a bar between or near the headlight - only mounting bolt is at the base and fairly heavy so would not mount as a normal lighter weight badge would. Wing tip to wing tip is 4 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 tall at center.

The back of it says at the top

This badge is the property of the Brooklands Automobile Racing Club  they were made by SPENCER in London and each badge has the member number stamped into the right side on the back.

• Like 1

Thanks Walt and Lee H for illuminating us on a great piece of automobilia. The British certainly had a wonderful way of celebrating things, still do. I've been binge watching Downton Abbey for past 3 weeks, about 40+ 1 hour episodes, covering 1912-1930 era and including lots of wonderful period cars, with Model T's at low end and RR's at top end.

• Like 1

That's an interesting photo and it certainly appears to be Brooklands. The female driver may be Jill Scott, a woman with a daredevil reputation who lived close by the track and raced for three or four years from the end of the 1920s, driving one of the old GP Sunbeams plus a Parry Thomas Leyland, a Bentley 4.5, Bugattis and various others. She always wore deep red overalls which looks a possible match for the tone of the photo, but she and her husband usually painted their cars black with green wheels. The car in this shot has escaped identification so far. I showed the pic to the Brooklands Museum and they couldn't come up with anything either. Fascinating, and I will keep thinking...

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, James Long said:

That's an interesting photo and it certainly appears to be Brooklands. The female driver may be Jill Scott, a woman with a daredevil reputation who lived close by the track and raced for three or four years from the end of the 1920s, driving one of the old GP Sunbeams plus a Parry Thomas Leyland, a Bentley 4.5, Bugattis and various others. She always wore deep red overalls which looks a possible match for the tone of the photo, but she and her husband usually painted their cars black with green wheels. The car in this shot has escaped identification so far. I showed the pic to the Brooklands Museum and they couldn't come up with anything either. Fascinating, and I will keep thinking...

James, thank you for checking with the museum. I found another photo that's possibly the same car & driver, labelled as Ivy Cummings with her father Sydney. I think the date for both photos is 10th April 1920. The car is possibly a Grégoire special with the nickname "Perky".

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530364606/f1.item.r=brooklands

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b53036492b.r=brooklands?rk=321890;0

Brooklands.jpg

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)

If that's the same woman, then it's decades later - and the chances of that being the case is slim to none. So... NOT the same woman.

John, yes I think you've got it. Here is a roughly contemporary picture of Ivy Cummings, There are others of her at the wheel of what's described as a Frazer Nash but seems likely to be a GN, possibly the GN Akela which is still around and active. She also had the Bugatti 'Black Bess.' I've never seen a picture of 'Perky' before but that does seem a good match (wheels, chassis details and front/rear body heights) for your photo so I will pass that on to the Brooklands

Museum.

.image.jpeg.825d99807d2095a1596e58e57450b2ee.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 6:59 PM, James Long said:

John, yes I think you've got it. Here is a roughly contemporary picture of Ivy Cummings, There are others of her at the wheel of what's described as a Frazer Nash but seems likely to be a GN, possibly the GN Akela which is still around and active. She also had the Bugatti 'Black Bess.' I've never seen a picture of 'Perky' before but that does seem a good match (wheels, chassis details and front/rear body heights) for your photo so I will pass that on to the Brooklands

Museum.

I found a photo of the car & driver taken on the 1st of January 1920 at the Southend Speed Trials. The photo's a bit blurry but you can read the name "Perky" on the bonnet. It looks like it had tandem seating.

SouthendSpeedTrial.jpg.56ca2d87b37b4bb2c0e0b195b1bea795.jpg

SouthendSpeedTrialdetail.jpg.06416834fc9c17e536e06ef3ecde7b47.jpg

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)
  • Like 1