August 1929 announcement by Franklin Company

Walt G

this announcement was published in the August 1929 issue of Autobdy magazine. A monthly magazine that was published from 1921 to 1931. It was a trade magazine for the coach/ body builders industry. Was only available by subscription and not on the news stand. That is why few issues survive due to its low print run.

The C.T Doman noted who submitted that news was Carl Doman one of the chief engineers at Franklin, who I met and talked to when I was in my teens at the annual Franklin trek when held in downtown Syracuse . Carl would figure out the tip to give the waitress when paying for a meal on a slide rule he kept in his pocket.!!!

There is so much information NEVER TOLD in obscure publications and factory letters sent to dealerships that has never been seen/read since they were issued.  For over 50 years I have collected and used information like this in the stories I write and did on a regular basis for the HHFC when I was a member. At the request of W. Chapin Condit I also for many years was the host to organize/contact etc former employees to invite them to a luncheon at the trek, the conversations and interviews were sensational to get insight into exactly what was going on at the Franklin factory when it was in operation. Yes, I was the one who went and got the porcelain faced white bricks when the factory was being demolished brought them back to the trek and sold them for $1.00 each to donate to the club's treasury. 

I have added images and data, lots more here but would overload the topic . This body style deserves its own story and focus .

WG

FranklinSPEEDster copyAUtobody1929.jpg

FRANKlinSPeedster147.jpg

FRANKLINspeedstercolor1929fldr.jpg

Edited by Walt G
added images (see edit history)
  • Like 5