Help With Gold Plate Key Blanks - Sheild Brand?

cgcourson

Hey Guys,

Anyone seen these before? I ran across these at a swap meet and trying to ID them. They all have letters on them which I presume are makes. I'm guessing 50-60s models?

Top Row L to R

• 1 & 2 Marked with B - Buick?
  • 3 - Marked with D - Dodge?
  • 4 - Marked with E
  • 5 - Marked with G

Bottom Row

• 1 - Marked with F
  • 2 - Another Marked with G
  • 3-4 Marked with CP
  • 5 -Another Marked with D
  • 6 - Marked with CPO
  • 7 - Another Marked with CP

AAA_8935.JPG

AAA_8937.JPG

AAA_8938.JPG

AAA_8939.JPG

AAA_8940.JPG

AAA_8941.JPG

The letters designate the key blank. Starting with the 1967 model year, GM used different groove configurations on the sides of the blade each year to increase the number of potential key combinations. Keep in mind that with only six tumblers of five different heights, there are only 7,776 possible key configurations (actually less since they didn't use keys that were six of the same tumblers, for example). GM built millions of vehicles each year that used these keys.

The key blanks rotated every four years. A (ignition) and B (trunk) were used in 1967, 71, 75, 79. C and D were used 1968, 72, 76. E and H were used 1969, 73, 77. J and K were used 1970, 74, 78.

These appear to be aftermarket.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

The letters designate the key blank. Starting with the 1967 model year, GM used different groove configurations on the sides of the blade each year to increase the number of potential key combinations. Keep in mind that with only six tumblers of five different heights, there are only 7,776 possible key configurations (actually less since they didn't use keys that were six of the same tumblers, for example). GM built millions of vehicles each year that used these keys.

The key blanks rotated every four years. A (ignition) and B (trunk) were used in 1967, 71, 75, 79. C and D were used 1968, 72, 76. E and H were used 1969, 73, 77. J and K were used 1970, 74, 78.

These appear to be aftermarket.

Wow Joe, you know your stuff!  Thank you!

• Like 1

I’m thinking that they are novelty keys and there were square monograms (letters) that could be stuck to the newly cut key for personalization.  

The monograms would the cover the key blank stampings. 

• Like 1

Probably meant for Used Car dealers to have cut, with their name and address on the opposite side of the make designation.   Advertising for them each time the new owner started the car.

Craig

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Look like Cadillac items to me.

keiser & m-mman were on the right track. Similar keys are found on eBay if you google "vintage Cadillac key with crown".

The Caddy Crown with its 7 pearls is seen at the chain loop. It seems the open blank area was for personalizing the keys

at point of sale.

caddykey1.jpg.6662fcce6199525a605d9eab010e773e.jpg

caddy key.jpg

Edited by drwatson (see edit history)
  • Like 3

One year when my father insured his car in around 1967 the insurance co. sent him some similar, but not the same  keys. I forget the  name of the insurance co.  but the keys were a give away that came with their premium  " gold key " insurance package. They sat around for years, and are possibly still in with all my assorted keys in a shoe box. You were to take them to your dealer and have them cut to match your car, but my father never did. 

• Like 1

Wow you guys are awesome. I should've joined this forum years ago!  I have been digging on the internet for weeks on these keys. Thanks to joe_padavano for the single letter codes, but I am still perplexed by the CP & CPO designation.  Maybe C=Chevy P=Pontiac? and CPO Chevy Pontiac Olds but that doesn't fit with the Cadillac?  Originally got these keys hoping for a 65 Dodge Dart key   

Edited by cgcourson
more info (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, cgcourson said:

Wow you guys are awesome. I should've joined this forum years ago!  I have been digging on the internet for weeks on these keys. Thanks to joe_padavano for the single letter codes, but I am still perplexed by the CP & CPO designation.  Maybe C=Chevy P=Pontiac? and CPO Chevy Pontiac Olds but that doesn't fit with the Cadillac?  Originally got these keys hoping for a 65 Dodge Dart key   

1965 Dart keys will look like these....trunk on the left, ignition on the right.

MoPar keys.jpg

58 minutes ago, cgcourson said:

These Briggs and Stratton keys and locks were used by all GM divisions. Yes, THAT Briggs and Stratton. Chrysler also used B&S locks.