1936 N21 Hupmobile - $4,000

Only one picture, so who knows? 

https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/d/carmel-1936-n21-hupmobile/7718439790.html

1936 N21 Hupmobile; Engine, transmission, brakes, fuel system and rear end all restored. This is a running, driving car. There are only four of these models known to exist; There is no grill, but otherwise complete. $7,000 OBO. (There is $5,000 in engine-rebuild in this car.)  (831) 320-5491

1936 N21 Hupmobile 1

• Like 2

I imagine a new one could be fabricated ($$$). If the interior was good (very unlikely) you could get it painted and only be several grand under water.

• Like 1

I wonder how the seller knew of only four extant. An acquaintance used one of our Hershey spaces several years ago to sell one. If it is indeed that rare, I suppose I should have bought it!

8 hours ago, jimkf said:

I wonder how the seller knew of only four extant.

His Grandma told him when he was just a wee little thing and she wouldn't lie. 

• Haha 2

More research necessary. There were SO MANY different Hupmobile models around that time, even as a part time Hupp enthusiast I can't keep track of them all. Frankly it won't surprise me at all if it turns out this is one of four extant. When was the last time you saw one for sale? The last time I saw one for sale, it was this same car, white wheels, missing grille and everything. I don't recognize the model number. Should be 3 digits. N-621 maybe?

EDIT: From the Hupmobile club website, a snippet covering the period between the introduction of the aerodynamic models and the introduction of the Skylark:

"The following year, 1933, only five series were available: B-316 (six), K-321 (six), KK-321A (six), F-322 (eight) and I-326 (eight). In 1934 some models were still available and new models introduced. The new designations were W-417, J-421 (both six-cylinder engines), while T-427 was an eight-cylinder. The Series W, J and T were Hupmobile's entry into the aerodynamic body styles.

The year is now 1935; two more aerodynamic body styles are introduced: D-518 (6) and O-521 (8), available in a sedan, coupe or Victoria models. Models K, KK, F and I were discontinued.

In 1936, Models D-618, G-618 (6), N-621 (8) and O-621 (8) were available in sedans or business coupes. Models G and N were new models for this year.

Late in 1936, and during 1937, Hupp Motor Car Co had a labor dispute with its employees and virtually no automobiles were produced for 1937. However, some 1936 Model G and Model N cars were assembled, to use up parts, and sold as 1937 models. With the end of the labor dispute in late 1937, Hupp reentered automobile manufacturing with two new models for 1938, the E-822 (6), ES-822 (6) and H-825 (8), available in deluxe or standard sedans. The E, ES and H were continued into 1939 along with the introduction of the Model R-915 (6), also known as the Skylark."

There is at least one model in that list for which NO survivors are known.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3