Light bulbs in rear light bar

minor4326

While my 1991 is awaiting better weather I thought I'd look into possibly installing LED bulbs in the rear light bar. I've damaged two bulbs beyond repair trying to get them out. I tried pushing down and twisting, but in the cold weather that didn't work. Can someone please tell me the best/easiest method to remove the bulbs.

As an aside I'm not familiar with what lights up, when, at night since I don't follow the car. I discovered that some or perhaps all of the bulbs have two filaments. That suggests to me they are all used to signify braking as well as light up at night when not braking. Is that correct? 

If I remember correctly, the bulbs were installed at the factory with some kind of grease in the socket. It may have become hard over time, and might have got harder with the cold weather. I would use a hair dryer to warm the socket up some, and then carefully try to move the bulb around enough to get it to push in and twist so you can remove it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On removing the bulbs it helps some if you push the bulb in and twist,  there is a little hump that retains the bulbs so they do not vibrate out. 

In the rear,  not all the bulbs NEED two filaments,  GM installed the two filament bulbs so they only needed to stock one parts number.  

I'm thinking the 3 above the license plate do not flash with the turn signal or braking so they could be single filament bulbs.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I replaced all the rear light bar bulbs with LED's. 

It took a lot of trial and error. What you want is a bulb that outputs red light and lots of lumens for the brake/turnsignal filament and of course less bright for the tail light filament. The outer bulbs on the corners also output red light.

Unfortunatly they all came from China so I have no part numbers. Buy a few spares if you find some that look good.

• Like 1

If the genius of the internet is to be believed, dielectric grease is softened or "melted" by rubbing alcohol, preferably the strongest.  I don't think it harms plastics so it should help with removing bulbs that have been in place for over 3 decades.

• Thanks 1