1961 Chrysler 300G Manual Transmission

Do we all know why this is insanely cool?   Not that I want to spend the 100k painting,  I guess you need to love it the way it is.  Same guy with the 54 Caribbean for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266658932937

This extremely rare 1961 Chrysler 300G is one of fewer than 50 examples optioned with a factory code 281 three-speed manual transmission. Reportedly 2 of them were made in this color! It is possible there are only 5 manual cars left! The car has what looks like mostly original faded Cinnamon paint over torn original tan leather upholstery, and power comes from the original  413ci Golden Lion V8 equipped with a cross-ram intake manifold. 15” wheels, rear tailfins, power-assisted steering and brakes, power-adjustable front swivel seats, an “AstraDome” instrument cluster, Areas of bare metal can be seen on the body, and the interior is partially disassembled. This 300G project was purchased out of Colorado in 2013, and it has a clean Texas title.

The code 281 cars are commonly referred to as the "Flying Mile" cars, as the specifications for production cars and beach racing cars were largely the same. a Chrysler 300, this time a 300G, would post the highest speed (143 MPH) in the Daytona Flying Mile, and at the conclusion of the 1961 event, speed trials were moved off the beach at Daytona.

Removed trim is included in the sale and can be seen in the gallery along with a set of replacement taillight lenses. 

The 15″ steel wheels are mounted with at the time of purchase  new 235/75 BFGoodrich Silvertown Radial whitewall tires. A matching spare wheel with an older whitewall tire is included in the sale along with a set of disassembled 300-branded hubcaps. The car is equipped from the factory with power steering and four-wheel power-assisted drum brakes, serviced since purchased. 

The cabin features power-adjustable front swivel seats and fixed rear buckets that wear sections of torn tan leather upholstery. Equipment includes a padded dashboard, a dash-mounted rearview mirror, a Golden Tone AM radio, an analog clock, a locking glove compartment, and a full-length center console. Removed switchgear, side panels, and trim can be seen in the gallery. 

The two-spoke steering wheel is missing a section of transparent trim, and it frames an “AstraDome” instrument cluster that houses a 150-mph speedometer along with auxiliary readouts for amperage, oil pressure, and coolant temperature. The removed center console-mounted tachometer and steering wheel hub trim can be seen in the gallery. The five-digit odometer shows 62k miles. 

The 413ci “Golden Lion” wedge-head V8 was factory rated at 375 horsepower and 495 lb-ft of torque and features a cross-ram intake manifold topped with dual four-barrel carburetors. The engine is said to have been overhauled under previous ownership, while the carburetors were rebuilt in the last few years..

Power is sent to the rear wheels via a three-speed manual transmission. The rear axle has been rebuilt.

The inner fender-mounted data tag partially decodes as follows:

SO 1201 – December 1 scheduled build date

Number 8501 – Body number

BDY 842 – Chrysler 300G two-door hardtop

TRM 833 – Tan leather upholstery

PNT RR1 – Cinnamon paint

image.jpeg.60592bd382e40e0dc37c3bb37e75aefa.jpegimage.jpeg.ec26e53aab585eee5aaf9ec31ecff33c.jpeg

image.jpeg.14df97e30b22cf549fc12a7e6e03088d.jpeg

image.jpeg.32385f09bd47b78e5aaf7122d6f2b40f.jpeg

image.jpeg.0dc3a58b072e99d2e80d4aaa3ee95369.jpeg

• Like 3

Heckuva write up.   Beast of a 300.  And that is not a compliment of any sort.

I'm very well versed in 300 Letter Cars having owned several.  I know nothing special about a "281 code" offhand but think it is very telling that he states "The code 281 cars are commonly referred to as the "Flying Mile" cars, as the specifications for production cars and beach racing cars were largely the same.    May be able to get y'all some feed back regarding that code.

Standard production 300Gs did compete at the '61 Daytona Speed Week.  I think they were all TorqueFlite cars.  There WERE real race-worthy 300G cars built in '61.  They numbered TWO and they were equipped with 405 HP short ram induction, big cam, cast iron header -equipped motors.  This car is obviously NOT one of those.   Those TWO were a continuation of sorts of the 1960 Gran Turismo project cars where 12 or 13 cars had been built, seven of which had the Pont-a-Mousson four speed manual transmission.  The balance were TorqueFlites.

The 1961 three speed manual (same as Plymouth used) was unquestionably inadequate behind the 413 engine, even at its standard 375 HP.

Seller is a great writer but there is an old saying that "You can't put a shine on a t__d".

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, StillOutThere said:

Heckuva write up.   Beast of a 300.  And that is not a compliment of any sort.

I'm very well versed in 300 Letter Cars having owned several.  I know nothing special about a "281 code" offhand but think it is very telling that he states "The code 281 cars are commonly referred to as the "Flying Mile" cars, as the specifications for production cars and beach racing cars were largely the same.    May be able to get y'all some feed back regarding that code.

Standard production 300Gs did compete at the '61 Daytona Speed Week.  I think they were all TorqueFlite cars.  There WERE real race-worthy 300G cars built in '61.  They numbered TWO and they were equipped with 405 HP short ram induction, big cam, cast iron header -equipped motors.  This car is obviously NOT one of those.   Those TWO were a continuation of sorts of the 1960 Gran Turismo project cars where 12 or 13 cars had been built, seven of which had the Pont-a-Mousson four speed manual transmission.  The balance were TorqueFlites.

The 1961 three speed manual (same as Plymouth used) was unquestionably inadequate behind the 413 engine, even at its standard 375 HP.

Seller is a great writer but there is an old saying that "You can't put a shine on a t__d".

Come on!  Give him credit for trying.   There is some poetic license going on there for sure.   I think the 3 speed stick would be fine for the level that car would be driven at now.  And you get to make vroom vroom noises at stop lights. The condition is the killer part.  Too bad.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, StillOutThere said:

Pont-a-Mousson four speed

There's a rare bird for sure!

I first I thought it couldn't handle American V8 torque, but then I remembered they were used in the Facel Vega. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBAuyRZVLxjTvEXlGuWoWJBa_0JYa2fsXfhVC3AexYbw&s

43 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

There's a rare bird for sure!

I first I thought it couldn't handle American V8 torque, but then I remembered they were used in the Facel Vega. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBAuyRZVLxjTvEXlGuWoWJBa_0JYa2fsXfhVC3AexYbw&s

Bonhams sold one at Amelia a couple of years ago with the 4 speed.   Super cool but the car needed a 200k clean up.

Holy crap,  I just saw they gave one away for 70K at Arizona this year.

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/28009/lot/149/1958-facel-vega-fv3b-coupe-chassis-no-58265/

16 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Bonhams sold one at Amelia a couple of years ago with the 4 speed.   Super cool but the car needed a 200k clean up.

Holy crap,  I just saw they gave one away for 70K at Arizona this year.

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/28009/lot/149/1958-facel-vega-fv3b-coupe-chassis-no-58265/

I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but I have seen a few good deals at that auction.  

1960 was the ONLY year the Pont-a-Mousson 4 speed manual was offered.  Shifter was in a boot in the center of the console as you would expect it to be.  Photo attached of the '60 300F GT  PaM shifter.  My car (former).

N/A for 1961.

The manual 3 speed stick cars '61-63 had the shifters mounted on the side of the transmission hump as is shown in the car offered for sale.

Shifter.jpg

Edited by StillOutThere
add clarification, pic (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

If I was a few years younger I might consider this project.

However, I see that this seller seems to be trying to retire off of these two cars as the reserves are not met and both are bid beyond my interests.

The 300 is an odd duck and I have a passion for the odd as well as 300s. It would be perfect for me.

I am not an expert on values of things, I just know what I would want to be into them.