62 special Generator installation

Eleli

Hi,

Thank you in advance for any help.

I took off the generator off my 62 to bee rebuilt - turns out there was no problem with it in the 1st place (gen light was on), fella that worked on it said probably loose wire was the cause of Gen light on.

So Now I have to reinstall the generator - like a fool, I did not take before pictures.  Can someone with a 62 special take a pic of how the generator looks installed? , And where the two wires that go from the generator to where they reconnect up top to square box with 3 little connectors?

I have a red and yellow wire that connect to the generator and then connect somewhere on the 3 connectors (black box), I also have TWO red wire that connects to the black box - 

Ya, I know I'm not much help am I?  

REALLY REALLY appreciate any help.

These folks can help you. General or Postwar forums should find you an answer, plus you'll find some great people in Buickland.

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/2-buick/

Also- by all means acquire this if you don't already have it:

s-l1200.webp

Get an original print copy from 1962. Reprints and electronic copies leave a lot to be desired.

Alternately a Motor's, Glenn's or Chilton's Professional Trades Edition general service manual covering early 1960s is useful. They're what general repair garages and service stations used, but it's hard to beat what the carmaker published for servicing its cars.

• Thanks 1

I don't know the colors, however with any generator system like this, if there are only 2 wires, one will be small and one big. The small one connects to "F" or "FLD" or "FIELD" at both the generator end and the regulator end. The big one connects to "A" or "ARM" or "GEN" at both the generator end and the regulator end.

The third post on the regulator should be marked "BAT", and it connects to a big wire heading into the main wire harness and on in to the car. It does not connect to the generator.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

@Eleli , one more thing, you mentioned a GEN light that was on. Since there is a gen light instead of an ammeter, there is probably a small wire from the main wiring harness going to the regulator. This is not the big wire from the main wiring harness going to the "BAT" terminal, but an additional small one.

If you have this additional small wire from the main wiring harness that powers a GEN light, it stacks on the "A" or "ARM" or "GEN" terminal of the regulator, along with the big wire that goes down to the generator.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1