1950 PLYMOUTH SUBURBAN TIN WOODIE - $18,000

Not original and the "wood" isn't the most convincing job, but a fun car for sure. Interesting that it's a wrap! 

(more pics in ad) 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/ruston-1950-plymouth-suburban-tin-woodie/7707380527.html

1950 PLYMOUTH SUBURAN RARE 2 DOOR TIN WOODIE WAGON <> CUSTOM PROFFESIONAL PAINTED TIN WOODIE WITH GLOSS BLACK BODY WRAP<> ORIGINAL FLATHEAD 6 WITH 3 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION <> ORIGINAL 6 VOLT SYSTEM <> CUSTOM INTERIOR WITH WOOD SLATED HEADLINER AND DOOR PANELS <> NEW CARPET <> TAN VYNIL SEATING <> VINTAGE FULTON SUNVISOR <> VINTAGE CUSTOM BUILT LUGGAGE ROOF RACK <> NEW 15" COKER WIDE WHITES <> PAINTED STEEL WHEELS WITH ORIGINAL PLYMOUTH HUDCAPS AND BEAUTY RINGS <> STRAIGHT BODY <> GREAT CRUISER <> VERY RARE SUBURBAN 2 DOOR <> REAL COLLECTOR CAR THAT YOU CAN JUMP IN AND CRUISE RIGHT NOW <> CLEAR TITLE IN MY NAME <> INSPECTIONS WELCOMED <> CALL FOR QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE 3ONE8 6ONE4 32ONE4 <> CAR IS SOLD AS IS <>

image.png.b38bb543e5b80d51c8af0f9baf22a4ef.pngimage.png.e4a5cbff43f21551d2ef966f02223625.pngimage.png.809abfe1034c2c4bd6947deae440df82.pngimage.png.733e510d51286f27ee611952ff924970.pngimage.png.d70340593dd6140655cfa78c5440edcf.pngimage.png.3ccb27faa96f729023718265c65618ec.pngimage.png.8e88411be3709107fa33b351fdcb226c.png

Edited by Leif in Calif
spellin (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

CUSTOM PROFFESIONAL PAINTED TIN WOODIE WITH GLOSS BLACK BODY WRAP

So I am thinking this car is a cool 'tin woody' then I re-read the description and the quote listed above above caught my eye.  I think the seller sort of cheated here and wrapped the car and didn't paint it. That and the lower quality wood grain job makes the price seem way out of line.  But it still looks pretty good for a 12 thousand dollar car.

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

"One of none" woodie with aftermarket custom replacement front bumper.  I don't think the roof rack is attractive or adds anything to the wagon. Same goes for the headliner/ceiling - too dark and heavy looking.

image.png.7e9fc5e46ac4e9fd7f856a31d4b2a1dd.png 

Personally, I prefer the stock one.

image.png.8b8376e718e4c37cb8e3239d1c086bbb.png

• Like 2

Having grown up riding around in a 52 Chev tin woody wagon they don't appeal to me. This one is kind of neat.

4 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

PAINTED TIN WOODIE WITH GLOSS BLACK BODY WRAP<

The above statement is kind of confusing. Is it painted or wrapped?

This might be one of those rare occasions where the owner's somewhat tasteful modifications have gone in the right direction and actually enhanced the car's looks to make it a little more more desirable, interesting and attractive. A 1950 Plymouth Suburban all metal wagon is a pretty plain (read: dull, boring) design from the factory that could definitely use some help. I mean almost anything would be an improvement. If you added a real 1950 Plymouth front bumper along with the correct stainless fender mouldings and some stone guards, it might pass for a real deal factory original to the untrained eye. The outside sunvisor just doesn't look right and I'd remove it. I would get rid of the roof rack too and I'd even consider (gasp!) putting a surfboard up there. I don't know about the $18K price tag but I think potentially this could be a really cool car. And would someone please replace that awful upper radiator hose and put the correct one on there?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The 55er said:

This might be one of those rare occasions where the owner's somewhat tasteful modifications have gone in the right direction and actually enhanced the car's looks to make it a little more more desirable, interesting and attractive. A 1950 Plymouth Suburban all metal wagon is a pretty plain (read: dull, boring) design from the factory that could definitely use some help. I mean almost anything would be an improvement. If you added a real 1950 Plymouth front bumper along with the correct stainless fender mouldings and some stone guards, it might pass for a real deal factory original to the untrained eye. The outside sunvisor just doesn't look right and I'd remove it. I would get rid of the roof rack too and I'd even consider (gasp!) putting a surfboard up there. I don't know about the $18K price tag but I think potentially this could be a really cool car. And would someone please replace that awful upper radiator hose and put the correct one on there?

I agreed with you at first but there are things on this car that have 2nd guessing my 1st impression.  The grill has been sprayed silver and the front bumper isn't correct. The interior (wood?) molding above the left rear window is bubbling. The sellers description black wrapped bodywork and amateurish painted woodgrain makes me question what else is there.  The Plymouth Suburban's are cool but I am not so sure this one is that cool. This one makes me think that the seller took a decent runner and in the cheapest way possible made it into something that is desirable(?)  Okay maybe the roof rack might not fall into my description of cheapest way possible.

4 hours ago, Fossil said:

The above statement is kind of confusing. Is it painted or wrapped?

What I understand is that the "wood" (light trim and darker panels) are painted. The black hood and fenders have been wrapped, certainly a less expensive process and of limited life.

3 hours ago, deac said:

The interior (wood?) molding above the left rear window is bubbling.

This appears to me to be just a rough finished board that was not properly sanded either at the mill or ignored by the "builder" before applying stain and varnish. Notice some ceiling boards and the right hand molding exhibit similar markings. I think it shows lack of workmanship on the part of the builder (seller?). and may reflect on the whole car. It would probably show better with a normal headliner.

• Like 1

I hadn't realized that the stock body was as plain as has been shown by Twisted Shifter. That means that the "wood" is just a two dimensional picture which probably looks almost cartoonish in real life but appears OK in a photo. Now I think if you saw this in person, it would be like so many stories you read about dating aps. Ech! 

• Haha 2