American Locomotive Motor Car Serial Plate - Alco?

TexRiv_63

This appears to be a motor or car number plate, nickel plated brass 3 1/2" by 1 9/16". The only listing I can find for American Locomotive is for the Alco car built from 1905 to 1913, but that was made in Providence RI, not NYC. Can anyone confirm this is from an Alco, or if not tell me what it is from? Any help is appreciated.

20240112_153432.jpg

20240112_153438.jpg

I’ve been working on the railroad (in miniature) recently but..I do think it’s an automobile, about 1910 era. I can’t get the automobile ad to copy but I did find a 1910 car ad that matches your address.  Also found a Tom LaFierrie auto he sold with similar plate, different address but for a 1908 car.   Great item!

• Thanks 1

As per the ad above, it a dealership sales/advertising plate that may have been affixed to the dashboard, sill, or door post.  1886 Broadway clearly proves it's the selling dealer's showroom address in NYC.

Calling Walt for 'back in the day' photos of that showroom??

Craig

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

That's it! Thanks Terry. I guess they moved down the block in 1913...

Across the street; 1883 being an odd number and 1886 being an even number.  I suspect 1883 may have held the Parts & Service departments.   

Of note, Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW) which was owned by ALCO at the time also had a Canadian office in Montreal as per that 1912 ad.

Craig

• Like 1