1929 Buick 20-27 4 door sedan wood

I have a 1929 Buick 29-27 4 door sedan.  The body is amazing but the wood is terrible.  When I purchased this car from a man in Fort Myers, FL, I was told the car had been restored just 6 6 months before and had been used in things like parades.  It had a Chevrolet inline 6 engine that was not running and a Chevrolet Powerglide transmission. I made the deal and paid for the car and began loading it on my trailer.

On my way back to Indiana, in my rear view mirror I noticed something flying from the car.  I stopped when I could and went to look at the car.  The passenger door was hanging loose and I could see exposed wood.  I tied the door closed and continued my trip home.  After unloading the car I looked at the door. ALL of the wood in the passenger side "A" Pillar was gone with just a few rotted wood splinters left.

Searching for replacement wood, I found that there were no replacement wood kits available for a Buick, just Ford and an occasional Chevrolet.

After removing the interior I found that almost all of the wood was gone around the rear window and apparently the trip from Florida to Indiana did a real job on what was let of the inner structure.  The reveal moldings were hanging loose and I could rock the body from side-to-side with a slight push of my hand.  I could pull the nails out with my fingers.  I probably should have contact the seller but I figured it was no use and besides that, I wanted the car.  I have had the car sitting in my garage several years..

I am somewhat disillusioned with the car.  I am not a woodworker by any means.  I can could just about anything I want from steel but with wood I am like a lost ball in high weeds.

The car was too far gone to even consider putting back original so I started working on things that I had the skills to do.  I counted up all I had spent on the car.  It came to about $30,000. I had all the Crome done, new suspension, drive line, AC, instruments.  It is still sitting there and I don't know what to do.  I was hoping to remove the wood from one side and replicate it for the other side.  I just read an article that it won't work because Both sides are a bit different.  I keep hoping that someone will come across with an idea of how to do this.  The only thing that is still fairly decent is the wood in the doors.  I need serious help!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edward Hurst said:

I have a 1929 Buick 29-27 4 door sedan.  The body is amazing but the wood is terrible.  When I purchased this car from a man in Fort Myers, FL, I was told the car had been restored just 6 6 months before and had been used in things like parades.  It had a Chevrolet inline 6 engine that was not running and a Chevrolet Powerglide transmission. I made the deal and paid for the car and began loading it on my trailer.

On my way back to Indiana, in my rear view mirror I noticed something flying from the car.  I stopped when I could and went to look at the car.  The passenger door was hanging loose and I could see exposed wood.  I tied the door closed and continued my trip home.  After unloading the car I looked at the door. ALL of the wood in the passenger side "A" Pillar was gone with just a few rotted wood splinters left.

Searching for replacement wood, I found that there were no replacement wood kits available for a Buick, just Ford and an occasional Chevrolet.

After removing the interior I found that almost all of the wood was gone around the rear window and apparently the trip from Florida to Indiana did a real job on what was let of the inner structure.  The reveal moldings were hanging loose and I could rock the body from side-to-side with a slight push of my hand.  I could pull the nails out with my fingers.  I probably should have contact the seller but I figured it was no use and besides that, I wanted the car.  I have had the car sitting in my garage several years..

I am somewhat disillusioned with the car.  I am not a woodworker by any means.  I can could just about anything I want from steel but with wood I am like a lost ball in high weeds.

The car was too far gone to even consider putting back original so I started working on things that I had the skills to do.  I counted up all I had spent on the car.  It came to about $30,000. I had all the Crome done, new suspension, drive line, AC, instruments.  It is still sitting there and I don't know what to do.  I was hoping to remove the wood from one side and replicate it for the other side.  I just read an article that it won't work because Both sides are a bit different.  I keep hoping that someone will come across with an idea of how to do this.  The only thing that is still fairly decent is the wood in the doors.  I need serious help!

You might start out by trying to get this book and find a good cabinet maker....

Picture 27245.jpg

Picture 27246.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Edward, scroll back to page 3 on this "our cars and restorations section" on this forum. There are two threads by "chistech" where he deals extensively on the wood replacement in a 1932 Oldsmobile deluxe convertible roadster. One thread started in 2016 is his own car and another thread started in 2022 is a customer's car. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 8:15 PM, Edward Hurst said:I was hoping to remove the wood from one side and replicate it for the other side.  I just read an article that it won't work because Both sides are a bit different.  I keep hoping that someone will come across with an idea of how to do this.  The only thing that is still fairly decent is the wood in the doors.  I need serious help!

I’ve heard the same and read the same many times but have made many “mirror image” pieces and have had no issues getting them to work. For years I have encouraged others to attempt to make wood on their cars  if they feel capable. I honestly feel the statement comes from two different ways of thinking. One, if we scare people enough , they’ll will be plenty of work for those who do make wood. The other is things repeated often enough by those without firsthand knowledge of the subject soon become the “truth” whether it is or not. I’m sure I’ll get arguments about my statements but I know firsthand in my real experiences, and I have made lots of wood for many different cars, that these cars are not that much different side to side that a mirrored image piece can’t be made to work and fit well. Of course cars with golf bag doors and other one side compartments are different side to side. 
   While I encourage people to attempt wood repairs/construction there is a considerable amount of things that need to be known. Things like using the proper wood, proper joints, correct glues, sequence of assembly (extremely important), and sometimes creativity in making pieces that can be installed from the inside. Many don’t realize the wood was built first then the sheet metal body applied. Making replacement wood to be installed from the inside or in assembled sheet metal like doors can be a challenge for most.  All this is not taking into consideration the person’s general wood working ability and the tools that they have. 
    I have a couple suggestions. You live in Indiana so I would call, and keep calling Jim Rodman from Autowood. He might just have some pieces made that will fit your car that you could drive to him and pick up. I wouldn’t suggest to consign him to make pieces he doesn’t have based on what others here have experienced. I do know someone who drove out and bought wood he had made and drove home. Another suggestion is if you feel confident, you can attempt to make your own wood. If you have a piece you can copy as a pattern, make a new piece using that. If it fits well, repeat the process on another piece. Put each new piece in the car as you go temporarily attaching it to the original pieces to rebuild your body framework. The last suggestion is you can send your wood pieces to someone who can fabricate you new pieces. There are a few shops that do it including myself. It is not cheap to do and expect to spend $8-12000 depending on where you go.

No matter what way you choose do your homework. There is enough information that can be found that will inform you. My own restoration threads done here shows many wood repairs to full redos. If you search my threads you will find many more than just the 32 Oldsmobiles I’ve done.

• Like 5