1932 Buick 5 window coupe Series 56S

Donnie

I am trying to remove the gas tank cover; side frame covers and front fenders from my very rusted '32 Coupe. Rusted and frozen bolts in some IMPOSSIBLE locations seems to make this impossible. Short of laying under the frame with a torch, I see no way to remove these body bolts. I don't like molten metal dripping down near me! 

I have tried cutting with a grinder, cold chisel and drilling. Sometimes that will work, most times just no room to work.

Any suggestions ?

The very last thing I would use would be a cutting torch. I’m repairing damage to the Sheetmetal on my 24/45 Buick from someone using a torch on fender bolts long ago. A “High Speed Cutter” with a friction disc could be used in virtually any situation to cut bolts or split the nuts, they come in both straight and 90 degree heads.

John Nelson

• Like 1

This may be a late reply but... I didn't see any mention of you using any type of penetrating oil on this vehicle. You might not think this will have any effect but with a sizable amount of patience, you might be surprised. 

Decide on what product or concoction is your choosing. Spray or brush onto everything and anything in question then wait. Repeat this every day or so for however long it takes for things to start loosening up. 

Then after you've done this for a number of days or weeks, then you can apply a little heat to the outer layer of metal. ****Note: Never apply any heat to sheet metal.**** That is very bad juju. Only to nuts or whatever is surrounding the nut. Remember that heat makes metal expand. If you heat the inner metal it will only get tighter. But if you heat the outer I.e., a nut for example, it will expand AWAY from the bolt. Also, the absolute smallest source of heat you can find is most times the best. Stay away from frames with heat also. Only heavy metal.

Also you're suggesting that some bolts are very difficult to get AT. That's probably because as things are being built, the inner construction is being covered over by the outer construction. So if there is any way (and there always is) you want to bite the bullet and resign yourself to removing the outer construction before trying to get at the inner. It sucks but it's almost always necessary. So when I say coat everything and anything with lots of oil, this is where it pays off.

And finally... "patience grasshopper". All things come loose in time. Oh, and modern day battery powered 3/8 impact drivers work great too. They're just enough to NOT break everything. Also search up how to remove bolts on YouTube. Some of these guys are brilliant.

Edited by Skidplate (see edit history)

THANKS for all the suggestions. I have tried all of them and have made some progress. Oil and then heat on the big bolts on the gas tank cover worked perfect. All four bolts screwed right out. The 1/4 '' bolts on the frame covers I cut off, drilled off and broke off. Not pretty, but the covers are off without any damage. One front fender is off. 

Thanks again 

• Like 1