Headlights Are Flashing On/Off

Got a new one y'all. A valet broke my headlight switch that turns the lights on/off. So, finally got it replaced and my headlights are now flashing on/off/on/off repeatedly when I drive. Usually takes a few minutes after I first turn them on for it to start to do it. When it happens, I can't flash the high beams either, as it turns off both sets of lights until it flashes back on about 3-5 seconds later. Any ideas? Is this likely a relay problem? Could it be a bad (new) switch?

My 1971 Plymouth Barracuda convertible was doing that, it turned out to be the dimmer switch.  Worth a look.  :)

Posted (edited)

We traced the electrical schematic, and since the blue headlight dash light goes out and the lights flash off when the high beams are engaged, it appears it must be a voltage issue. So, I'm assuming it's either a bad headlight on/off switch (in which case the new replacement part was bad), or a bad headlight high/low beam switch, unless there's something I'm missing.

Edited by mytc05 (see edit history)

On older Chrysler products, there was a circuit breaker inside the headlight switch that would trip if there was too much current, then come back on, off, repeat, repeat. Any extra current could do it. The floor mounted dimmer switch @cudaman mentioned was a common spot for a short, as they would get wet, corrode, and leak current to ground. If it has a floor mounted dimmer switch, that is the first place I would look. If it's not the dimmer's fault, look for a pinched wire, oversize headlight bulbs, etc. Anything that would draw more current through the headlight switch than normal could cause it to kick out. I have no idea how a valet could have done it.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

10 hours ago, mytc05 said:

Got a new one y'all. A valet broke my headlight switch that turns the lights on/off. So, finally got it replaced and my headlights are now flashing on/off/on/off repeatedly when I drive. Usually takes a few minutes after I first turn them on for it to start to do it. When it happens, I can't flash the high beams either, as it turns off both sets of lights until it flashes back on about 3-5 seconds later. Any ideas? Is this likely a relay problem? Could it be a bad (new) switch?

From your description of the problem of the on/off timing of the headlamps, and if you had NO PROBLEMS prior to the valet breaking your headlamp switch, which I find difficult to understand in the first place, my conclusion would be that whoever installed the replacement headlamp switch acquired a very poor quality switch or a used switch and you will need to buy a NEW, better quality switch yourself and have it installed either by the same person who did it before or someone else, unless you are able to do it yourself.

• Like 1