New floor mat stinks!

vette-kid

I'm putting in the new floor mat in my P2.  We have actually had it for a few years in storage.   It's from an individual that makes these and I see he now sells them on bernbaum as well, I can't recall his name.   Nice product, but the smell is overwhelming!  We have had it it for a few days, washed it with dawn dish soap, left it in the sun.  It still stinks!  Has anyone used these?  Did it dissipate?  I'm worried it will be overpowering in the car.   It was in the spare room overnight and I had to cover it with a blanket to block the smell, it was just too much!    Maybe sprinkle with baking powder?

I have used baking soda liberally spread over and worked into the material.  Let it sit for a few days and vacuum out.  Might take a couple of applications but it should eventually absorb the odor.  Worth a try, it's a cheap fix if it works.

• Like 1

It's been there for a day now without much, of any improvement.   I'm going to vacuum it tomorrow and re-apply.   Honestly it didn't come out very well anyway.   Kinda disappointed with it.   That stuff was a huge pain to work with.   Probably not too bad without pedals seat and shifter installed, but I didn't want to remove everything first.   Looks like it would have been w worth it. 

• 3 weeks later...

You might try charcoal, use a bag of charcoal for a grill. I used that in a car I bought that had been 

smoked in. it worked great. I set 3 or 4 paper plates filled with charcoal briquettes in the car. It took about 4 days and the interior had no smoke smell. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...