Just Purchased! (Water Leaks?)

Brother_Neature

Hello All,

I just picked up a 91 Reatta and had a question about water leaks. The previous owner stressed that I leave the car parked under a cover/garaged. Luckily I have the space in my garage but I’m in Portland Oregon so it will be raining a considerable portion of the year. Curious if anyone has experienced water seepage and can provide advice on what parts of the weather seal(s) to look out for. I noticed the spare tire had a bit of rust around the edges so looks like some moisture was/is getting into the trunk…

I suppose as long as it’s garaged it’s not a big deal but any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Stoked to be a part of this community! Cheers! 
Ian

IMG_2462.jpeg

IMG_2463.jpeg

Obviously it leaks lol for him to tell you that.  Both the coupes I have had leaked around the back window near the top, ran down the side post and under the seat.  If the rubber molding is hard or not in good shape or if the window is not aligned well you can get some in at the top of the door windows as well.  If you some of your controls don't work for electronics, there is a good change your connections under the seats need redone.  One of the first things I check on them 

• Like 1

The car does not appear to have a sunroof,  so that eliminates one possibility.  

Try to track down the general area of the leak.

Feel under the seats for damp carpet. 

You mentioned the trunk.... I remember a owner have a leak and found that the water was from the taillight 

mounting studs.   Remove the taillight and each of the studs (there is 8, 10 don't remember) should have a sealing 

washer around the hole in the body.   If all of them were leaking that could let in a lot of water. 

Another owner has a leak at the rear window.    Also check the drain holes in the bottom of the doors.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've not had a leak on either my coupe or convertible.  I did develop a crack in the couple windshield and had to have it replaced.  The glass installer did not do an aesthetically OEM job of replacing the windshield, but neither it nor the convertible have leaked in the unusual rains we have had here in San Diego.

• Like 1