Ignition Timing 1927 Dodge Brothers 4 door

Charlie van Rensburg

Hallo

is there anybody that can please assist witb the following

i want to start our 1926 Dodge 4cyl 

this one have a magneto and i am not sure of where cyl nr 1 is and i also don't know if the rotation is clockwise or anti clock wise

i did see the TDC mark through the inspection hole on the flywheel 

how does the petrol pump work, is it electric i saw it on the left back below the fuel tank

can someone please assist with some pictures explaining all the timing marks and how to set it up

we are is South Africa - Witbank

let me know if i must post more pictures of anything 

thanking you in advance

charlie34243@icloud.com

7B9449B3-55A6-4F26-83C3-F6B6DA255A13.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. You are in the right place.

Every engine turns right hand when looking at it standing in front of the rad  looking back .  Remove the spark plugs and stuff the plug holes with some paper. Slowly turn the engine by hand and watch the paper pop out. That is the firing order . The gas pump should be a vacuum tank bolted some where on the fire wall  under the bonnet unless it was replaced with an electrical pump.

The problem with  used vehicles is you never know what the previous owners did or modified. 

Is there some reason you think the ignition timing may be off?  Has someone messed with it?

Number 1 is the front cylinder (closest to the radiator).  My mechanics manual doesn't talk about timing a magneto, only timing a distributor, but if it's like other engines with magnetos the impluse should trip just after top dead center with the advance lever in the starting (fully retarded) position.  If it trips before top dead center the engine can kick back against the starter, not good.

The C/14 mark on the flywheel is top dead center.  With the number 1 cylinder on compression, the magneto should trip just after the TDC mark.  The manual talks about another mark just past TDC, if it's there that is probably where the magneto should trip.

It would have originally had a vacuum fuel tank/pump on the firewall, if there's an electric pump someone has added it somewhere along the line.  Be careful with an electric pump, the carburetor was originally gravity fed from the firewall mounted tank, and can't take much fuel pressure.

Reproduction Mechanic's Instruction Manuals are readily available on E-bay, if that's an option in South Africa.

You might also ask in the Dodge Brothers portion of this forum, someone else may have one with a magneto.

Keith

• Like 1

Defiantly post in the Dodge Brothers section down below. There are a number of guys that live in New Zealand and Australia that might have more experience with magnetos that post in that section. Which magneto does your car have? It might have number one indicated on the cap. 

Unless fitted later, don't think any came with the impulse coupler, not shown in the 1914-1927 parts catalog. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It sounds like no impulse coupler , so the way to check the timing is remove the point cover and turn the engine to 1/4 DC . With the steering wheel spark control in the full retard position the points should just BARELY be opening.  This is assuming the mag hasn't been off. If it has then you need to determine firing position on No. 1 and set the mag so the rotor gear is in that position before checking the points.  Hope this helps. 

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Charlie van Rensburg said:

Hi 

Thank you very much for the positive replies.

Please help me to understand the terminology “impluse should trip just after top dead center”

Thank you very much.

The starter usually won't turn the engine fast enough for the magneto to generate a pulse, so most magnetos have a mechanism on the input shaft that holds the armature against a spring and then will trip at a specific point in the shaft rotation and let the spring rotate the armature fast enough through part of a turn to generate the necessary pulse.  The points will open near the end of this partial rotation to generate the spark.  This mechanism is called an "impulse", and is bypassed (usually with centrifugal weights) when the engine is up to speed.   Often you can hear it trip with the engine cranking.

Keith

• Like 1