My Maxwell

4 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Looking forward to seeing your posts! Parked next to my recently purchased Model T is this Maxwell, a 1909. The owner is leaning on me to also buy the Maxwell……..hmmmmmm

IMG_5203.png

Clearly a sign from above.  You need the Maxwell!

• Haha 2

I sometimes think everybody in the 1950s/'60s painted their Maxwell runabouts red! Years ago I knew of several of them, One of William Harrah's first real antiques was a painted red Maxwell runabout. Jack Passey had one early on (one of his first pre1916s), and a couple other collectors I knew years ago had ones like that. 

The odds are, the cars were more likely either green or blue originally. One of the collectors I know, had a model AB with a 1950's red paint job on it. They eventually restored it properly (after the engine "failed to proceed" on an HCCA national tour). During the teardown, they confirmed the car was originally a dark blue, and that was how it was then restored!

Continuing drift (my apologies). I suspect one would have trouble getting a near pristine two cylinder Maxwell still today at around 25K. The last couple really nice ones I saw sell were over 30K (one I heard went for 35K). Although, the last few older restorations two cylinder Maxwells I saw sell needing some TLC went for a bit under 20K (one I heard went for 17K).

• Like 2