Remote locking transponder for 1997 Riviera (part number needed) NOW RESOLVED

rodneybeauchamp

Hi all,

my 1997 Buick Riviera only came with one set of keys and one remote locking transponder, which all work well.

Am looking for the correct part number for the transponder so I can order a spare one. There is nothing inside mine to identify it.

Can someone advise the part number of the part? It looks exactly like ones in the picture below.

Thanks in advance

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_6670.png

Edited by rodneybeauchamp (see edit history)

ALL of the numbers related to the item are cast on the OUTSIDE of the back case, in the recess. GM Part number, FCC ID number, etc.  PLUS the transmitter ID as "Driver 1" or "Driver 2".

The last item is more for reference of the users rather than the identification by the car.  Either one can be either designation when they are programmed to the vehicle.

For programming to take place, BOTH transmitters have to be present and programmed at the same time.  The programming function first clears the car's memory bank of any known transmitters, then the system is programmed (usually via the Driver Info Ctr or through the radio functions) as "Driver 1" and "Driver 2". 

"Driver 1" could be the vehicle's main user as "Driver 2" could be a spouse, off-spring, or other designated person.  In some vehicles, certain features can be programmed to coincide with particular preferences of each Driver.

Programming the keyless entry transmitters is different from programming the vehicle to recognize the correct transponder ignition keys, so the vehicle will start and run.  A separate function all together.  Un-recognized keys will allow the starter to turn the motor, but when the key is released from the "Start" mode, the engine ceases to turn over.

Just some recollections,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

ALL of the numbers related to the item are cast on the OUTSIDE of the back case, in the recess. GM Part number, FCC ID number, etc.  PLUS the transmitter ID as "Driver 1" or "Driver 2".

The last item is more for reference of the users rather than the identification by the car.  Either one can be either designation when they are programmed to the vehicle.

For programming to take place, BOTH transmitters have to be present and programmed at the same time.  The programming function first clears the car's memory bank of any known transmitters, then the system is programmed (usually via the Driver Info Ctr or through the radio functions) as "Driver 1" and "Driver 2". 

"Driver 1" could be the vehicle's main user as "Driver 2" could be a spouse, off-spring, or other designated person.  In some vehicles, certain features can be programmed to coincide with particular preferences of each Driver.

Programming the keyless entry transmitters is different from programming the vehicle to recognize the correct transponder ignition keys, so the vehicle will start and run.  A separate function all together.  Un-recognized keys will allow the starter to turn the motor, but when the key is released from the "Start" mode, the engine ceases to turn over.

Just some recollections,

NTX5467

thanks for that. My transponder has zero markings inside or outside of the case giving no clues to the correct number.

Possibly it is a replacement from NorthCoast Keyless as one of their leaflets was in the paperwork I received with the car. The photo in my previous post was from their webpage showing three possibilities they list.

However their response to my questions has been unsatisfactory, asking me to contact my nearest Buick dealer and provide them with my VIN. Given I am in Australia not an easy task.

My shop manual sheds no light on this either and was hoping a parts book listing would help.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6708.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Added photos (see edit history)

There are many available on eBay, many are not OEM, though.  Key things are if their buttons are the same as yours, relating to number and functions.  I know you are in Oz and that complicates any shipping issues as to time and cost.

The aftermarket keyless transmitters, not transponders, do not have the ID items I mentioned on them.  So, you are in the situation of being at the mercy of the local suppliers.  THEY should know what the items they sell will fit and work on.  Might be worth the drive to visit them with the car and see if they have a remote that looks like yours and will program to the vehicle.  If it won't program and be recognized by the vehicle, then no sale.

Otherwise, you can email Buick for information as to part number.  Although the part is probably discontinued at this time.  Or see if any Holden operatives might transfer your request to their mainland associates for a reply.

Regards,

NTX5467

Hi Rodney, if can not find a new one any where, ill give you a contact in USA, that may be possible.

It is a dismantler,  wreaker named ---J @ J Auto wreaking , in Marshallville  Ohio , they are very good, and  for often Buick parts,

example right now have  about 6 items for   your 97 Riviera,  and im sure they  will obtain  transponders for the same car .

I purchased a  1964  Jack from them about  4 years ago, and they were excellent to deal with.  have %100 feed back---.

10 hours ago, Wayne R said:

Hi Rodney, if can not find a new one any where, ill give you a contact in USA, that may be possible.

It is a dismantler,  wreaker named ---J @ J Auto wreaking , in Marshallville  Ohio , they are very good, and  for often Buick parts,

example right now have  about 6 items for   your 97 Riviera,  and im sure they  will obtain  transponders for the same car .

I purchased a  1964  Jack from them about  4 years ago, and they were excellent to deal with.  have %100 feed back---.

Thanks Wayne.

I might try to reach out to a sympathetic Buick Dealer/Parts Department with my VIN as they should be able to trace the part number for the correct frequency.

Contacting GM Overseas in Canada was very unhelpful, so this will be my next step. 

See what transpires. 
Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• 4 weeks later...

BTT

Good news is I now have two extra sets of functioning keys with resistors plus door keys.

If I can get help with the correct transponder number that would be good.

Have read where dealers can identify the correct one from the VIN. 

My VIN is 1G4GD 2214 V 4712737 built January 1997.

TIA

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• rodneybeauchamp changed the title to Remote locking transponder for 1997 Riviera (part number needed) NOW RESOLVED

And some interesting solutions to another problem. 

Ordering through their website came up with a transponder costing less than US$25.00 however the postage to Australia was going to be ….. wait for it …… US$99.00. Come on you gotta be kidding. 

However when I contacted NorthCoast Keyless about the exorbitant postage was told bluntly that the postage was correct. Perhaps realistically they could not be bothered to check for an item valued at US$25.00! ☹️☹️☹️

Not to be thwarted, I ordered through their website and had it posted to my US address which then redirects the item back to me in Australia. And the postage to my address in California was ….. ZERO.

I think the total cost landed here will be less than half.

Although Northcoast Keyless had the product I needed, certainly don’t rate them highly as a helpful supplier based on my recent experience! ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️👎👎👎👎👎👎

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 3:43 PM, NTX5467 said:

(Somehow I suspect the $99USD was due to distance rather than the cost of the part.)

Totally disagree.

If you or I had packaged it properly and taken it to the nearest post office, US airmail would be a fraction of the US$99.00. It smacks of I can’t be bothered to do that so whatever the FedEx online shipping calculator says, that’s it!

Currently RockAuto are shipping two Buick radiator hoses to me for around AUD$55.00 which weigh far more and are physically much larger than this key fob. Go figure!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Consider, too, that sellers are not duty-bound to charge shipping costs at what they paid for them.  So they can  make profits on them, too, even if they get a discount on them.  

If you're buying a $25.00 USD part, that means the seller might potentially make $10.00 USD on it.  They've got to pay bills, too.   Just because RockAuto charges less to ship than others is not "industry standard" by any means.  RockAuto probably ships via a consolidator, so they get a discounted rate.  Private businesses can operate as they might desire.  The great thing is that "customers have choices" of where to spend their money.

I used to ship some smaller car parts from TX to Sweden in the 1990s.  At that time, there were extra steps to ensure the credit card worked before they got shipped and a few other things.  Definitely not "plug 'n play", back then.  Not the same as shipping something domestically, even back then. 

Regards,

NTX5467