Plug wires

RivNut

IMHO cut your own, then they will fit and really lay nice. Even original sets are usually a little wonky. I always cut my own, no matter what might be available premade.

Agree with @Rockable about the crimper. One from the past that works well looks like this. Circa 1992 this was a no-name that you had to know who to ask to get one. Later on the same crimper was available from MSD and Accel. It really works. If you can find one, get it. I mean exactly this shape, not something similar. Handle colors and branding vary.

10.jpg

What you *don't* want is something like the picture below, even if it is from a highly reputable brand like SnapOn, and If I remember correctly I had one of theirs. Note that it is combined with a general purpose stripper/crimper, and that the plug wire die is down below the hinge. Lots of companies have sold this design, at varying levels of quality, and I have encountered it many times. For plug wires it is crap. There is no reason this design needs to be terrible, but it is. Rather than keep the bottom of the terminal curved like it should be, it will kink in 2 places where the lower part of the die contacts. Avoid.

83-6518.jpg

Nowdays, I see tools advertised with a big fat compound action mechanism and full width dies, as wide as the crimp area on the terminal. Squeeze once and you are done. Those are probably fine, probably better than my favorite tool in the first pic, but I don't own one so can't say for sure.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have access to a set of the ones pictured that has the MSD sticker on it.  I assumed that I’d be cutting my own because there’s no room for excess wire inside the Spark Plug Cover.  

What I’m more interested is gauge and core material?

Ed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

What I’m more interested is gauge and core material? 

Normal 7mm spiral-core magnetic suppression wire should work well, I suspect.  No need for the HEI-sized 8mm wires unless you have an HEI distributor or similar, to me.

If you are going to use the shields/covers, make sure that all of the correct looming is done to discourage cross-firing and such.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took Tom T's advise and went with 8mm Taylor Spiro-Core. Was more efficient than those carbon core from out distant past. I think 900 ohms for the longest lead, 550 ohms for the shortest.

Also, these high tension wires fit in the holders where 7mm were.

Taylor is part of the same group of companies as Pertronix I believe.

They should have them with angled boots. I purchased the straight boot set.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of years ago Pertronix acquired Taylor Products, here in the Kansas City Metro area.  Taylor has been around for 90 some years in the same Granview, MO area. Taylor still operates as a unique company, just now part of a larger conglomerate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1