1931 Chrysler Stromberg DD3 Information

Joao46

Hello.

can anyone on this forum point me to an expert on Stromberg DD3 carburetors?

I have recently bought a restored 31 Chrysler Imperial CG and it has this carburetor.

I runs well but I keep reading posts that say they are difficult to find parts for and difficult to repair.

Maybe I can source a disassembly manual or if all fails a proper replacement carburetor in case mine starts to give problems.

Thanks.

I’ve attached pics of the car

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_8050.jpeg

IMG_3787.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice car........Is that Joe M's old car from New Hampshire?

Carburetor's are not that difficult, just expensive. 98 percent of the people who say they can rebuild it are just parts changers with no clue. Guys who know what they are doing are very scarce and busy. Expect to pay 1500-2500 to rebuild it correctly. If you are not totally familiar with them (pre war carburetors) it's cheaper to have someone else do it. Major parts are nonexistent. 

49 minutes ago, Joao46 said:

Any recommendations of good rebuilders?

Yes, I will send you a PM, since your new, you can’t initiate them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Narve N said:

Is there any good alternatives to the DD-3, besides its immediate successor the EE-3? Would be very nice to have a more modern carb in reserve in case a DD-3 fails.

Not "bolt-on".

The mounting flange used by the DD-3 is shared by:

Stromberg DDR-3, Stromberg EE-3.

That's it, list complete!

If one wishes to machine a flange adapter, an entire universe of modern carburetors THAT COULD BE MODIFIED is opened.

(Opinion) of modern two-barrels of sufficient size, the Stromberg WWC (383 Chryslers) and the larger Rochester 2-GC (would require a heat stove for the choke) (400 Chevrolet, 400 Pontiac) are all excellent choices.

There are others, such as the Carter BBD used on the 383 Chrysler, Autolite 2100 (390 Ford) and Holley 2300 (many Ford products), but the ones in the previous sentence would be my choice.

Some additional comments about rebuilding the DD-3:

While we DO offer many parts, THIS IS A CARBURETOR FOR A PROFESSIONAL SKILLED IN THE RESTORATION OF ANTIQUE CARBURETORS!

Even a well-meaning novice could easily change Ed's estimate above from $1500~2000 to $3500~4000 QUICKLY. This carb REQUIRES special tools, not currently available, have to be fabricated, AND access to a good machine shop!

Jon

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, carbking said:

Some additional comments about rebuilding the DD-3:

While we DO offer many parts, THIS IS A CARBURETOR FOR A PROFESSIONAL SKILLED IN THE RESTORATION OF ANTIQUE CARBURETORS!

Even a well-meaning novice could easily change Ed's estimate above from $1500~2000 to $3500~4000 QUICKLY. This carb REQUIRES special tools, not currently available, have to be fabricated, AND access to a good machine shop!

Jon

My quote was for a rebuild.......not Pebble work. Of course, bolting on a EE-3 doesn't make the car run correctly. It MUST be calibrated for the application. Without a five gas and chassis dyne, it's almost impossible to get it right. Running lean will burn valves and melt pistons. Seen that many times. Since the Chrysler and Pierce engine displacements are almost identical L head engines, it would be a good starting place for getting one on a Chrysler.  Below is a Pebble Bugatti Type 57SC we did a while back.........Total cost for core and parts with restoration.........7k.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ed - I understood that.

My comment was that the carburetor should be done by someone skilled in antique carburetor restoration; but the cost would be for a rebuild, NOT a restoration.

As you are aware, the DD-3 and DDR-3 both really need to be done by someone who understands the carbs. Whether the service person would do a rebuild or a restoration would be between the customer and the shop.

45 years ago, we offered BOTH services for about 1 week! During that week, I took in a half dozen carburetors for a "mechanical but not cosmetic" rebuild. I finished the "rebuild" and even though the carb was perfectly clean, I was ashamed to send it out looking like a rebuild. I quickly ended the "rebuild" service, and did mechanical and cosmetic restoration on the half dozen that I had taken in FOR THE SAME PRICE. Lost money on them all, but wasn't ashamed that they came from my shop.

Jon 

Ed mentioned  calibrations.

Saying "EE-3" is a wee bit more informative than saying "red car", but not much more!

Stromberg built 125 DIFFERENT type EE-3 carburetors!

These were built with 4 different internal venturii sizes: 1 1/8, 1 3/16, 1 5/16, and 1 3/8.

While the DD-3 used on Chrysler came with a 1 1/8 venturi, Stromberg tweaked the diameter on the Chrysler EE-3 to 1 3/16.

And the Pierce analogy given by Ed is a good one; as Pierce also used a 1 3/16 venturi. Of all the EE-3 carbs, the Pierce ones are the easiest to find, AND the least expensive.

One really wants to start with something that is close to the correct calibration. If one has the proper venturi; main metering jets, main discharge jets, idle tubes, economiser valves, and air bleeds are replaceable, and available for the EE-3.

And while Ed's 5-gas is a wonderful tool (most of us don't have one), IF one builds the carb to the original Stromberg engineering specs like it went don't the assembly line in 1933, it should be calibrated sufficiently well for normal adjustment.

Jon

• Like 1

That's an absolutely beautiful car. Congratulations! I hope you have many, many happy memories with it.

I'll reach out to the shop here in IL that's doing the mechanical restoration on my '31 CM6 and see who they used. They shipped the carb off for rebuilding and had a pretty decent turn around time. It wasn't inexpensive.

You may also want to think about the hard and soft fuel lines and the gas tank, depending on how long it was sitting and how much gas was in the tank while it sat. I've had all that cleaned and replaced as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 12:47 PM, EThomas said:

That's an absolutely beautiful car. Congratulations! I hope you have many, many happy memories with it.

I'll reach out to the shop here in IL that's doing the mechanical restoration on my '31 CM6 and see who they used. They shipped the carb off for rebuilding and had a pretty decent turn around time. It wasn't inexpensive.

You may also want to think about the hard and soft fuel lines and the gas tank, depending on how long it was sitting and how much gas was in the tank while it sat. I've had all that cleaned and replaced as well. 

Hi, EThomas, did you ever get a response as to who rebuilt your CM3’s carb?