1968 Camaro Z28 Not Mine very pricey!

Nice looking car. If its a tru Z I would think the price is probably close. Good example of how there is little love for the firebird counterpart. I just saw an article that a 69 Trans Am (they made less than 700) sold for 95k. They made over 7k z28s in '68 and a quarter million camaros.

• Like 4

Yea, same in my town. If you had a 69 Z your were the shiz! I think they still have a bigger following/command higher prices. Even the guys with the big block chevelles wanted a 69Z.

There was a fellow a bit older than myself that had a 69 Z with a high h/p factory motor. I dont know that much about them but it was the top dog motor (one of those that sells for well into 6 figures now). That car would outrun anything. He was the guy to beat but nobody ever did. I recently was talking to an old timer that said he still had the car stashed in his barn, along with an early 70's 'shaggin wagon' van that he special ordered with a big block motor.

26 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I like it!   I'm not up enough of these to know if the 68 or 69 brings more money.  I've always wanted a 70.5  in this color.  We had a bunch of kids in HS that worshiped the 69.  Nobody had a 67/68.

53a6c5e579b672cb7c5077473e645928.jpg.9df81c849d43f388fd01cf1c9125d366.jpg

The 69's still bring the most money. The 70.5's are such a better car all around, just too many years of the same body style. I like this color also, but prefer Citrus Greenimage.png.78b7cb2576c1a57c1fc62119f1964a3a.png

• Like 4

I had a 65 ford pickup as my first vehicle, there was a 67 camaro that came up for sale I wanted in the worse way. It was a rs/ss white and gold convertible. Immaculate original condition. This was around 80/81 so it was pretty much just a used car. Asking price was 3500. Pop wouldnt loan me the money even after looking at the car. He said an old camaro wasnt worth that much. Truth be known he probably figured I would have ended up wrecking the thing! I did end up buying my brother in laws 72 Grand Torino. Wish I had that one back.

• Like 3

No engine pics? No pics or documentation of what verifies a Z? Ironclad documentation is key with these cars.

I'll admit to being very cynical about 1st generation Z/28. I've seen too many fakes.

Chevrolet produced 602 1967 Z/28. There were more of them than that in a roughly 50 mile radius of Danville VA. The Chevy dealer kept Z/28 badging on the shelf and sold the hell out of them. Sometimes it seems EVERY 1st-gen Camaro in the area was a Z/28. 6-cylinder automatics, 396/375 SSs, and everything in between. But very few actual 302/4-speed cars.

Some of those bogus Z are still around here and show up at cruise nights. 

I like what my Chevy bud does when he encounters one of them. "Is this an original Z/28 car? I notice there's a big block in there..."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rocketraider said:

No engine pics? No pics or documentation of what verifies a Z? Ironclad documentation is key with these cars.

I'll admit to being very cynical about 1st generation Z/28. I've seen too many fakes.

Chevrolet produced 602 1967 Z/28. There were more of them than that in a roughly 50 mile radius of Danville VA. The Chevy dealer kept Z/28 badging on the shelf and sold the hell out of them. Sometimes it seems EVERY 1st-gen Camaro in the area was a Z/28. 6-cylinder automatics, 396/375 SSs, and everything in between. But very few actual 302/4-speed cars.

Some of those bogus Z are still around here and show up at cruise nights. 

I like what my Chevy bud does when he encounters one of them. "Is this an original Z/28 car? I notice there's a big block in there..."

You are of course 100% right.  What you are saying is true of almost all Chevy based musclecars (and Corvettes) because they are the easiest to fake of all the makers.

• Like 2

I dont bother asking if a car is 'real' or not. If the owner likes it so be it. I used to question every shelby mustang I would see but gave up when a couple were indeed the real deal, just an owner that enjoyed driving more so than having a glitzy trailer car. Some cases the 'real' cars are limited to but a few or are prohibitively expensive. Putting together a 'clone' that has the same performance traits is as much fun. Just as long as the owner doesnt try to sell it as something its not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I dont bother asking if a car is 'real' or not. If the owner likes it so be it. I used to question every shelby mustang I would see but gave up when a couple were indeed the real deal, just an owner that enjoyed driving more so than having a glitzy trailer car. Some cases the 'real' cars are limited to but a few or are prohibitively expensive. Putting together a 'clone' that has the same performance traits is as much fun. Just as long as the owner doesnt try to sell it as something its not.

Kerry, it’s usually not the guy that put the car together that sells it as real. It’s a guy two or three down the line.

Personally for me, I would always rather have a lesser authentic car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you have a Canadian built or sold new in Canada Chevrolet you can verify if it's a true Z28, SS 396, or whatever by purchasing the GM Vintage Vehicle documents.  Most of the cruise nite Z28's are fake. Same as the 1970 Chevelle SS 454's. I well remember even back in the mid 70's that people would do a fake job on a base Camaro, Malibu, Mustang or Impala. Same goes for a plain Plymouth Satellite  becoming a Road Runner. This was back when a real Z or SS were just a few hundred bucks more than a easy to spot fake. 

Funny story from the summer of 1975. I bought an original 1969 Dodge Charger R/T that was a factory built Hemi 4 speed car with power windows and many options. The former owner blew up 2 426 Hemi's and had his warranty voided before the 70's even started! So it had a 440 in it when I bought it off the back lot of a used car dealer. It had a banged in drivers door, and plenty of rust. B5 Blue, white stripe and white interior and I was in love with it. Had a few guys at the local A&W razzing me on a Friday night telling me to take the "fake" Hemi badges off the doors. I never did, nor did I change the banged up driver's door as it had the data sticker showing the VIN coded "J". Sold it to a buddy who got broadsided and it was a total loss write off.

Many years later the used car dealer I bought it from called me up and offered me X10 what I paid for it. By then it was crushed. We never dreamed that those old beaters would rise in price so high!

The 1970 Torino Cobra 429 Drag pack  that I owned 3 times is still less than an hour away from me, but is beyond restoration.