What are the chances I can trade my 1980 Ford Bronco?

Long story, short.  I purchased a 1980 Ford Bronco for my son's 16th B Day a couple of years ago.  It had electrical problems, so I had the entire thing re-wired with a new harness and ended up having the engine re-built at the same time.  I've got about $40,0000 total invested in it right now and he doesn't even drive it anymore because there is still some work left to do to it.  I've seen a few 60's mustangs totally rebuilt that sell in the $30-$40,000 range.  And I've seen some of these 70-80's Broncos fully restored go for $80-$100,000.  Does anybody think I would be able to trade my Bronco in it's current condition for a fully restored 60's mustang?  And if so where would I go to find one?

Trading cars is hard although if you see a mustang in dealer inventory you want,  trading with a dealer is easy although trade in value is closer to wholesale.

Post some  pictures of this Bronco and I'll tell you if it is worth anything.   What you have invested has zero correlation to the value of the car... unfortunately for most of us.

• Like 2

Since you asked... No I dont THINK so. The first gen broncos were selling for stupid money although I think that hype has cooled a bit. The square body blazers are kinda hot right now and I have seen those with high asking prices. I have yet to see any 1980 bronco sold for 80-100k. Seems there is more love for the gm stuff than ford (and Im a ford guy). You need to remember asking price and selling are 2 different animals. You dont say what work 'still needs to be done'. Regardless of what you have 'invested' in the vehicle, without seeing it I would say 15k-30k would be a reasonable asking. If you dont love the truck, sell and get what you can, then look for a mustang. 60's Mustangs are like 80's trucks. There is a wide variety to choose from with a variety of prices. You can get into that area with a 6 cyl notchback on the low end. A v8 fastback gt will be on the other side of the scale.

Again, depending on the condition Bring a Trailer is a popular online auction. Hemmings has online auctions as well. These are both good venues to both buy and sell a vehicle. The texas and south west auctions the big companies(mecum, Barret Jackson) have seem to get the most out of trucks and suv's.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, StudCantrell said:

Does anybody think I would be able to trade my Bronco in it's current condition for a fully restored 60's mustang?  And if so where would I go to find one?

A 1980 Bronco that's not drivable? No, I do not think you are going to find anyone to trade you a fully restored Mustang for that.