Full Price: $27,000 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 39,367 Is this For Real?

This reminds me of something that happened a few years back. I had a beautiful off frame restored 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air Sport Coupe (Hardtop) for sale. The asking price was $85,000. I get a call from a gentleman. He says I love that Chevy and will be up Thursday to get it. He tells me he is coming from Tennessee and borrowing his brothers trailer and his friend is coming with him. After listening to all of this I ask how he is going to pay for the Chevy. He informs me that he made a deal with my partner at the Charlotte Motor Fair. He saw a photo of the car printed out on a board. Recognized the car from my ads. Then he negotiated the price from $85,000 to a show special of just $30,000. He had $30,000 in cash in his pocket and paid my partner. He told me he even had a bill of sale. This is when I had to inform him that I had no partner, and I certainly did not have anybody selling my cars at the Charlotte Motor Fair. He became angry with me. He asked me how he could get his money back. I told him to call his local police and they would explain it to him.

The real sad part is this has happened several times over the years. People think they are getting a great deal and become stupid. 

If it sounds too good to be true... it is. Everybody knows cars are valuable today. Nobody is giving away cars at fractions on the dollar. The little old lady with the Corvette knows it is a Corvette today and she wants more than it is worth.

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brass is Best said:

This reminds me of something that happened a few years back. I had a beautiful off frame restored 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air Sport Coupe (Hardtop) for sale. The asking price was $85,000. I get a call from a gentleman. He says I love that Chevy and will be up Thursday to get it. He tells me he is coming from Tennessee and borrowing his brothers trailer and his friend is coming with him. After listening to all of this I ask how he is going to pay for the Chevy. He informs me that he made a deal with my partner at the Charlotte Motor Fair. He saw a photo of the car printed out on a board. Recognized the car from my ads. Then he negotiated the price from $85,000 to a show special of just $30,000. He had $30,000 in cash in his pocket and paid my partner. He told me he even had a bill of sale. This is when I had to inform him that I had no partner, and I certainly did not have anybody selling my cars at the Charlotte Motor Fair. He became angry with me. He asked me how he could get his money back. I told him to call his local police and they would explain it to him.

The real sad part is this has happened several times over the years. People think they are getting a great deal and become stupid. 

If it sounds too good to be true... it is. Everybody knows cars are valuable today. Nobody is giving away cars at fractions on the dollar. The little old lady with the Corvette knows it is a Corvette today and she wants more than it is worth.

A fool and his money soon go separate ways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1