1963 Lesabre; anybody know this car?

Drakeule

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/d/port-washington-1963-buick-lesabre-401/7685514564.html

I am considering going to see this car; it was auctioned back in 6/22 on BaT. Made it to 3500$; no sale. Present owner says he didn't know about the auction; and said he has had it for about a year. He wants $8900.

Also, where can I find out what it's worth? (for DMV purposes.)

Any help appreciated!

C Drake, Potomac, MD.

• Like 1

In Texas, they started to use "The LIttle Black Book" pricing for tax purposes at time of title transfer.  I know it works for newer vehicles, but not how well it might be for vintage vehicles.  T  The original target market for that information was normal used car auction results, which would be lower than suspected, as that is what the dealers pay for the cars at auction. 

There is a valuation tool at www.Hagerty.com , which is probably similar to others that are online, just have to head toward #2 for a vehicle that has not been fully concours restored (which would be #1), then go down toward #5 from there, as needed.

The car looks pretty good!  Wondering what has been done since the BaT auction?  Remember, too, it is a "more door", what I'd term "a normal car" rather than a flashy hardtop Wildcat.  Wondering if the interior fabrics are original or have been replaced?  If original, they can be fragile and might be easily destroyed by daily use, due to "dry rot" and such.

Also curious about that large electric fan in front of the radiator.   On a non-a/c car "up there", compared to in TX?

Hope this might help,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Approx----$5500 to$6000---if the body and chassis  is ok, and it drives great.

I realize i live in Australia, but i have lived in US for 10 years and purchased  about 22 classics from US,

about half sight unseen.---hope this helps.

Nice looking, but it's still a low-optioned 4-door sedan.  It's not particularly desirable as a collector car, but would be ideal for someone whose family had one when they were young and wants to revive some memories.  If I were that guy I'd probably start at $6000 ~ $6500 and maybe go to $7500 if if really is as nice as it seems.  I wouldn't worry too much about valuation for tax purposes.  You can download the bill-of-sale form from the NY  DMV website.  If the seller signs the affidavit with the negotiated sale price there should be no issue.  In the end, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay.

• Like 2

If you like it buy it, get a receipt, and pay the tax on what you paid. In the long run that little extra will not mean much. Those are inherently good cars, easy to own.

A running, driving, presentable car just under $10,000 is a deal these days. Even one that is not 60 years old.

• Like 4

I haven't seen the car in question, but I bought a 1963 LeSabre four-door sedan for $7500 in July.  It's a running car with 54,000 miles on it.  I had new tires installed and am having the carpets and weather stripping replaced.  Also the carburetor needed rebuilding.  I feel like I paid a fair price for my LeSabre.  I've only driven it a little bit so far, but it's very comfortable and feels solid on the road.  

The Craigslist seller contacted me, I think through Hemmings Make Offer web site, to ask what I thought a fair price was for the car (I had a 1962 Buick Skylark advertised for sale on Hemmings web site).  I suggested the Old Cars Price Report number three condition price of $8100 to him.  As you see in his ad, he set his asking price a little higher.

The car I bought was listed for $8,000, the seller and I agreed on $7500.  I listed the actual price I paid on the NY DMV tax forms, they seem to be stricter on collecting the taxes on the actual price paid than they used to be.

The LeSabre on Craigslist looks nice in the pictures, it might be a fun hobby car.  I live nearby if someone needs a club member to look at the car.  A good friend of mine spotted and inspected my LeSabre and I bought it on his recommendation.  It has the 265 horse power 401 with Twin Turbine transmission, power steering and power brakes.

By the way, I ended up selling the Skylark after all.  I stated in an earlier post that I was keeping it, but I received a decent offer.

IMG_20231012_143210.jpg

Edited by Skylark4367
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skylark4367 said:

I had new tires installed and am having the carpets and weather stripping replaced.  Also the carburetor needed rebuilding.  I feel like I paid a fair price for my LeSabre.

Those add on's can easily bring the cost to that $10,000 range Especially if there is some window rubber included. There is always something. I figure maintaining an old car costs about an average of $600 per year. That won't be every year but the average will catch up to you.

On the tax, if you spend a buck pay the tax on a buck. A lot of things I do are because I have observed people over the years and decided there are some people I just do not want to be like. There was a point about 15 years ago when I decided to pay the proper tax simply because I did not want to be like those whom did not. Good decision for me personally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The styling on these Buicks was much more conservative than the '59-'60 cars, then the downsized '61-'62 cars, by comparison.  Yet the engineering seemed to be bulletproof.  Many of the vehicle systems were reaching their upper plateau of excellence at the time.  Engines, transmissions, hvac, power steering, etc. were all very good.  Which the '65-'66 models continued with their snazzier styling.

Of course, as the Buick television ads of the earlier 1950s emphasized, it might be a lower-priced Buick, but it still has all of the great Buick attributes of the more expensive Buicks.  Still a prestigious car to own, just a few dollars more than "The Low Priced Three" of the time.  When it being a Buick was more important than which Buick it might be.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

Many of the vehicle systems were reaching their upper plateau of excellence at the time. 

I had the Dynaflow rebuilt on my '60 Electra 3 years ago. Cars of that vintage hold up well for 50 years. Outside of a rear axle bearing and a U-joint normal maintenance has been all that has been require during my 20+ years of owning it. I have gone from 67,000 to 90,000 with ease.

I remember seeing the restored '55-56 Buick chassis in Flint at the BCA 100th anniversary of Buick. It was right around 50 years old at the time and impressed me with the general longevity of cars. And how quickly the number of 50+ year old cars had dropped in attendance during my time in the hobby.

Even today they begin dropping off at 50 years unless some major work has been done. Which kind of leads to the current topic on project cars. The hobby has always thrived on those cars less costly to own, the under 40-50 year old ones.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The hobby has always thrived on those cars less costly to own, the under 40-50 year old ones.

It will be interesting to see how the advent of electronic engine and HVAC controls affects that trend.  Hints of what may happen are already appearing on this forum with regard to cars of the early to mid '90s.  When replacement parts are unavailable, work-around alternatives will need to be developed to keep them going.

• Like 2