Solution found- 1931 Buick 60 tie rod ends 16SV23 F right, 16SV24 F left OR internal parts pictured

Str8-8-Dave

My car cannot be driven until I resolve a tie rod end issue.  I'm desperately looking for any of the following:

A completed used tie rod end or both of them.  Part numbers are 16SV23 F and/or 16SV24 F

The 3 small internal parts and bottom cover plug circled in the attached picture.  

If you have any of these parts and are willing to sell please contact me via messages on the website or email dkrugler@msn.com

Thanks

Dave

Tie rod end parts.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
Parts found (see edit history)

Have you checked eBay , there’s a few 31 Buick tie rods there.. I’m sure you have already do these part #s share any other applications for other vehicles 

1 hour ago, BuickTom87 said:

Have you checked eBay , there’s a few 31 Buick tie rods there.. I’m sure you have already do these part #s share any other applications for other vehicles 

So the tie rod ends I have seen lately listed as 31 Buick parts are not 31 Buick 31 parts.  I did find one listing for "early Buick" tie rod ends that might use the same internal parts but that's a long shot.  I'm trying to reach the seller now.

• 4 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 12:29 PM, Str8-8-Dave said:

So the tie rod ends I have seen lately listed as 31 Buick parts are not 31 Buick 31 parts.  I did find one listing for "early Buick" tie rod ends that might use the same internal parts but that's a long shot.  I'm trying to reach the seller now.

Dave,

Have you had the chance to get the car out of the driveway yet?

Hopefully the snow/salt have cleared a bit and you have been able to test out the new ends.

I put a few miles on my reconditioned ends this spring, and its sure is quite a positive difference!

Happy travels,

Mario

• Like 1

I spoke to a company named rareparts, as long as You send themold ones they will remake them for you. The only downside is the price tag on them 

• Like 1

Im dealing with Buick tie rod issues also. 1934 large series cares are different than the series 40. Lots of series 40 stuff is available. On the larger cars it’s no go. Besides the thread size issue many balls have different tapers that go into the steering knuckle. So what seems like a simple find something to fit goes ought the window. 

• Like 2

Here is the way they sell Jaguar XJ6 ball joint repair kits as an example of how pieces might be found to make the repair:

s-l960.webp.fdbc0e57f27eeff2682eca36840cbeb2.webp

A little investigating might show you can pick and chose pieces from a similar kit. Or find a friendly counter person who will let you match up tapers and lengths of what they have on the shelf.

In the past I have disassembled new tie rod ends to repair steering links.  That sleeve in the upper end shown in your picture is Teflon in modern applications. I bought a foot of thick wall Teflon tubing from a local plastics supply house and made mine. They were only an inch or so long.

The round disc that caps the end can be tapped into place or just a low amp Heliarc tack to hold it in place.

I never felt insecure with the repairs I have done.

Posted (edited)

For my car this has all been solved.   32Buick67 discovered Thompson Products produced replacements, their catalog #ES15 which I have never found.  Mario also discovered Thomson Products catalog #ES11 used same internals in a different configuration assembly.  Turned out Jim Blair had a NOS set of the ES11's in an E-bay auction and I snapped those up, popped the internals out of the NOS parts and transferred to my housings.  The ES11's came with new dust seals, cup washers and seal springs.   For sure, Rare Parts is one avenue, and for sure, get your wallet out.  I got these NOS ends and did a little work in the garage, but I only have 50bucks in my now like new tie rod ends.  

New ball stud, clamshell bearings, bearing centering spring and nut were re-patriated from NOS Thompson ES11 tie rod ends.  The housing is my original housing 

waiting to receive the new internal components. 

TRE 013.jpg

This shot shows correct orientation of clamshells and centering spring.

TRE 014.jpg

New components installed and bottom plug expanded in place.

TRE 015.jpg

I saved the original bottom plug from my original tie rod ends because it has a patent date stamped on.

TRE 019.jpg

Rebuilt tie rod ends ready to go back onto the tie rod.

TRE 020.jpg

Completed tie rod with rebuilt ends.  One end of the tie rod is threaded 16 TPI X1.00" dia., other is 18 TPI X 1.00" dia.  The 18 TPI tie rod end is lock/indexed to the tie

rod via a thick washer installed in the expansion slot of the inboard pinch bolt.  The washer extends into a half-moon slot machined into the threaded area of the tie rod.  

TRE 022.jpg

Last 3 pictures show the rebuilt tie rod back in the car.

TRE 029.png

TRE 030.png

TRE 031.png

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• Str8-8-Dave changed the title to Solution found- 1931 Buick 60 tie rod ends 16SV23 F right, 16SV24 F left OR internal parts pictured

After doing some research , I found the box supposedly the Thompson es11 . It also said it fits 1936 80-90 series . I just wanted to increase my odds of finding these . 

Tom, some info for 32-80/90.

ES11 is for the smaller 60 series and none of the parts, except maybe the spring, will interchange with the larger series.

Direct replacement:
  • Thompson Products # ES-12 (same for McQuay-Norris, Dufor, TRW Toledo, etc.)
    • 1930-50-60
    • 1931-32-33-80-90

Ball stud only (you can also keep your old cup bearings and recondition) Buick # 1230379:
-Reconditioning process involves lapping the ball and cup bearings to dress smooth and concentric.
  • Thompson Products # ES-2 (same for McQuay-Norris, Dufor, TRW Toledo, etc.)
    • 1924 6-cyl
    • 1925-26 master 6
    • 1927-28-120-128
    • 1929-120-128
    • 1930-50-60
    • 1931-32-33-80-90

Wild card:

-These may or may not fit, they are likely to fit the stud portion, but the socket threads might not be correct and cannot be re-threaded to fit your tie rod bar threads.

• Thompson Products # ES-43 RH, ES-44 LH (same for McQuay-Norris, Dufor, TRW Toledo, etc.)
    • 1934-35-90

On 4/13/2024 at 5:58 PM, 32buick67 said:

ES11 is for the smaller 60 series and none of the parts, except maybe the spring, will interchange with the larger series.

Mario is right and after I read my post above, I should have stated clearly ES11 internal components and ES15 assemblies, if you can find them, are specifically for 60 series cars in 1931 and 32.  They may have been used for larger cars later, but for 31-32, the parts I spoke of are for 60 series only.  80/90 series ball studs and housings are larger than the 60 series.  ES15's won't work on 31-32 50 series because the external housings are different.  Whether the internals from ES11 or ES 15 can be used in 50 series tie rod ends, I haven't a clue.