Buick 1940 Window crank handle wanted ( With pictures)

daniel boeve

I hope you forgive me but I made a new post with pictures from the handle I  broke this week .The window had a lot of tensioning from sitting and i put a little force on the crank and  it broke .Very bad start of the week !Mine was like new what i even made worser .I made  pictures from another one and you can see in the middle is a opening what makes it even more breakable GRRR.So the search starts for another one .I see that the ones from a fifties Cadillac I have also fit on the crank  but I would like it better to find another original .

IMG_8436.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG

• Like 1

In the meantime, I'd be tempted to try fixing the broken handle by carefully drilling longitudinally into the metal on each side of the break.  Insert a pin with epoxy to bridge the break and also hold the plastic insert in place from behind.  Hopefully you can find a replacement and free-up the regulator to prevent a recurrence.  I'll bet the window regulator is full of old, hardened grease...

Dan, you should check if the 1939 BUICK 60, 80, and 90 series window crank will also work for you. The handle shape could well be similar, even though the plastic items will be maroon. You can always swap out the maroon pieces for your very nice ivory-colored ones.

You really shouldn't have any problem finding a 1939 or 1940 big series window crank. Most will have crappy or no plastic left, but you've got that covered with your good ones. Dave Tachney, the renowned late 1930's BUICK parts vendor, should have one for you. Call him late in the afternoon central time at 763-427-3460.

FYI, the ivory knob on your window crank was replaced at some time in the past. The flathead attachment screw is not the original fastening method that was used. John

• Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, EmTee said:

In the meantime, I'd be tempted to try fixing the broken handle by carefully drilling longitudinally into the metal on each side of the break.  Insert a pin with epoxy to bridge the break and also hold the plastic insert in place from behind.  Hopefully you can find a replacement and free-up the regulator to prevent a recurrence.  I'll bet the window regulator is full of old, hardened grease...

Hallo , i looked again and drilling a hole in the flange of 1 mm thick to insert a pin i cannot do that .Surely you cannot use it then to raise the window .It will break as glass , but THANKS for your remark

• Like 1