1928 Chrysler roadster outer axle seal and brake linings

fc170

Hello all,

In pulling off the brake drum, to repair the lug bolt thread, I uncovered a leaking outer axle seal.

Can anyone recommend a source for the seal as well as friction lining material for the brake shoes?

The drums are 14". 

Thanks for your help,

Greg

I have had success with reusing the outer parts from an old seal and having a renewed inner seal in modern materials mounted inside to fit the axle dimension, made by a company specializing in this trade. Actually cost less than buying an very old aftermarket seal.

Pretty well covered everything. 600W oil (not 600 wt or weight) is equivalent to about 250-300 weight modern formulas. Install a vent in axle housing, quite a bit of pressure can get built up in a rear end during long drives causing oil mist to be expelled thru inner seals, affecting both the bearings and risking getting out to brake shoes. Assuming modern grease is used in wheel bearings, it is not likely to migrate much unless polluted by oil from rearend. Finally outer seal is as much as anything intended to prevent dust and road debris from getting into bearings, so does not have as demanding a role as inner seal. For my CD8 I reused old leather seals. Thoroughly checked them for wear, and that compression springs were still effective. Should be plenty good for the amount of miles our restored cars get.

This is another option..... Just drill a small hole ( 1/8 inch dia.) right through the centre of the upper most bolt that holds the diff housing cover in place, insert a split pin and that's it. 

Only downside is the need to occasionally wipe a little oil that weeps from the vent. 

20231102_095337.jpg.fcc113ae8e01793501ea35cec5e7f902.jpg 

• Like 2