1927 Dodge Magneto

In the 126 series cars on export magneto ignition was common in countries where battery charging was not easy to do . In the Northern Rivers region of N.S.W. I have seen about 7 or 8  of these set ups on 126 cars .  There was also a magneto set up for the 128 series cars as well , will find sum pics of this.  Magneto ignition is listed in the parts books for all these cars ( 126,124,128,and I have seen one on a 140  .) Bob

Edited by robert b (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1918 to early 1926 (12 Volt) DB passenger cars were basically equipped with horizontally driven North-East battery ignition systems. Magneto ignition was an option for RHD Export cars. Some time ago I did the electrics on a 1925 RHD DB that was imported from New Zealand. It was equipped with the standard starter-generator and a magneto. I did the starter-generator but since the magneto was in such a bad condition, I decided to covert the car to battery ignition. Therefore I used a North-East Model O, Type 10004 ignition unit that was standard equipment on LHD passenger cars. It basically adapted without any additional modifications. But since it was a RHD car, the coil interfered with the steering column. The coil is part of the ignition unit, which makes the assembly too long to be used on a RHD car. So I removed the coil, closed the advance mechanism housing with a cover and installed an external coil. Later I noticed that such ignition units were available for RHD export cars. I‘m sure later magneto driven model 124 and 128 export DB‘s (6 Volt) can easily converted to battery ignition too.

The generator is mounted in the location where the distributor assembly would have mounted. The car would have used a distributor mounted in the casting just behind the pulley.

Taking a stab at this; guessing that if the casting for the magneto were removed, the hole might be there to fit a distributor into and may have used the North East 10786 TU for left hand drive and 10786-A TU for right hand drive. I believe this model was only used for a short time, between the side mounted distributors shown above and the through the head type. Those are the numbers listed in the NE catalog for 1926 to date, the catalog being 1927 issue. 

29 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

Taking a stab at this; guessing that if the casting for the magneto were removed, the hole might be there to fit a distributor into and may have used the North East 10786 TU for left hand drive and 10786-A TU for right hand

….guess you‘re absolutely right.

• Like 1

The Model O number 10000 is very similar to 10004, but it reverses the polarity every time you start the car. The condenser has two leads instead of the normal one. The ignition switch only turns to the right 90 degrees at a time. Off, positive or negative ground, off, opposite ground. It is to keep the points from building up on one contact.

I never researched who invented it, could have been Atwood Kent.  Your  July 1927 parts list was long after the parts were superseded for the 10000. If you look at the 1918 Master Parts Book it shows a condenser with two leads. They were not supplied very long as I don't think the system worked too well. I have the only ignition switch I have seen that only turns right. The vendor at Hershey was sure it was broken and I was sure I could make it work. It was cheap. 

• Like 1